1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Quitting social media

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ironchild89, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Ironchild89

Ironchild89 Fapstronaut

So it’s been about 48 hours since I’ve last used social media. The first day I quit I felt like I was going through withdrawals. I felt the need to be constantly stimulated, I kept picking up my phone, but after I realized I deleted the apps I would just stare blankly at the screen. The second day has been a lot better for me I woke up at 5am and was about to get a solid two hours of studying in. Now I’m relaxing contemplating taking a nap.

2. I spent Friday withour any phone or computer. It felt great! I am in the process of deleting all my social media accounts and all my real name presence online. I'll stop using whatsapp facebook and all that crap. I'll restrict myself to technology that doesn't use the Internet + I won't use my credit card to the extent possible. I'll still use the Internet between 6-8pm to send emails and watch Netflix on my TV.

3. ras-tanura

ras-tanura Fapstronaut

Watch for common pitfalls like the Fear of Missing out (FOMO). You got this!

4. I deactivated my Facebook account last night and I've been feeling the urge to aimlessly search through social media. I know quiting is the right move, but I didn't realize how attached I was to this stuff.

Ironchild89 and Deleted Account like this.
  5. Where is the forum section on Internet addiction by the way guys? Wasnt there one before?

6. Ironchild89

Ironchild89 Fapstronaut

I was feeling that way since yesterday. Today I didn’t have many social media withdrawals I’m on day 4 of no social media. I’ve noticed that by being in the moment I’m living life with that much more passion.

7. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

Deleting my Facebook profile was one of the best decisions I ever made. I've been without a Facebook profile for roughly two years now, and I don't regret it at all.

Here are reasons I'm happy I deleted my Facebook profile:
    1. Facebook is designed to be addicting and to fragment your attention as much as possible throughout the day. I was by no means a heavy Facebook user. I would rarely make status updates (if that's what they still call them). I was more of a lurker. My browsing sessions typically lasted about five minutes, and I would have about ten of these browsing sessions in an average day. If you were like me and you don't make a lot of posts, then the news feed algorithm is designed in such a way that it feeds you just enough new content every time you check Facebook to keep your attention for about five minutes before you get to stuff you've already seen. Sometimes it will withhold new content from you so that it can deliver just the right amount to hold your attention for that length of time. You will periodically check throughout the day, and there is a high probability that each time you check there will be roughly five minutes of new content for you to scroll through. I imagine this is even worse if you are a woman, as you will likely have not only new content to scroll through in your news feed, but will likely also have more notifications than the average male.
    2. Facebook is not designed with their users in mind. It is designed with advertisers and shareholders in mind. That is where their money comes from. I think I would actually like Facebook more if it was a paid service. If users don't like Facebook's interface, functionality, or policies, that's too bad. The interface isn't designed for you. It's designed to direct as much of your attention as possible towards advertisements and information endorsed by Facebook's shareholders (many of whom are likely American politicians). The functionality isn't designed for you. It's designed to keep you addicted, always coming back for more, reaching for 'likes' so that as much of your attention as possible is fragmented throughout the day so you can be bombarded with advertisements and sponsored information. Facebook's policies are not designed for you or for your own protection. They are designed to protect Facebook and to protect the interests of their shareholders and advertisers. Facebook is not designed for you. You are not a Facebook customer. You are the product. Your attention is the product.
    3. Facebook uses your personal information to manipulate you into buying certain products and into believing certain things. There's nothing inherently wrong with advertisements. However, the difference between an ad on Facebook and an ad you see on a billboard on the highway is this: when you look at the billboard, the billboard isn't looking back at you. When you listen to an ad on the radio, the radio isn't listening to you. Facebook ads are different. If you're anything like the average Facebook user, then Facebook likely knows your name, where you live, what high school you went to, what college you went to (or whether or not you even went to college), your age, your gender, your current relationship status, where you work (and previous places of employment), the movies, books, television shows, and music you like, and the political/philosophical figures whose views you endorse. This information is used to manipulate you into purchasing certain products, using certain services, and even into endorsing certain political or philosophical ideologies.
    What do you get in exchange for these three heavy costs on your well-being? You basically get a glorified version of a high school reunion (even saying that is being a little generous. I'd rather go to an actual high school reunion than log onto Facebook these days. It would be a breath of fresh air to reconnect with a bunch of people who actually make the physical journey to my old high school just to see where we're all at in life). Some people like the fact that it helps you remember your friends' birthdays (even though you could just write them down). Some people like the private messenger app ("private"). I don't know. I don't get the appeal anymore, and I just don't think any of that stuff is worth it.

I think Facebook has become a force of nature like nothing we've seen before. It's the consequence both of the lack of regulations on mega-companies like Facebook in our modern capitalist society, and of our irresponsibility as consumers to believe the ridiculous premise that a web service as complex as Facebook is actually 'free'. I don't know who to point the finger at when determining the reason that Facebook got to be the way it is today, and I think that's because we're all equally to blame.

I blame Facebook itself for bending over to the will of advertisers and shareholders, and for designing software whose purpose is to get consumers addicted to a service that bombards them with advertisements and endorsed information.

I blame advertisers and shareholders for holding their own private interests (profit, political power, influence, etc.) in higher regard than that of public well-being.

I blame consumers like you and me for being so naive, and for lazily wanting a web service like Facebook delivered to us for free. It's not free. Nothing in this world is free. We were wrong to believe that Facebook was somehow different.

I feel like this is getting a little doom-and-gloomy, so I'd like to end this on a positive note. First of all, you don't need Facebook to survive in this society. If anything, it might have given us the opportunity to remind ourselves that we don't need flashy technology or the noise of social media to keep up with everything. As I said before, I spent an average of roughly an hour per day on Facebook. That's one extra hour I have to smell the flowers, talk to a friend, play chess, or just read a book. Without any users, Facebook would fall apart. If we all quit, even if it's just one user at a time, it won't be the parasitic monolith it is today.

Whew. That was a lot. It's been a rough week. I had a lot of time on my hands this evening. Just thought I'd share some of my thoughts on Facebook. Hope you all have a nice day :)

8. ShatterTheCeiling

ShatterTheCeiling Fapstronaut

I haven't deleted my Facebook account, but I have deleted it off my phone and I have deleted Reddit as well.
    I also deleted any dating apps I had. I still get on Facebook on my laptop, but I don't live there anymore.

That being said, it has caused a tremendous improvement in my life. I find myself being triggered far less now.
    Honestly, I would advise anyone who is wanting to get serious about NoFap to limit Facebook, Reddit, and all social media.

9. I’m quitting social media as well

10. One of the main causes of my depression I think

11. user10111

user10111 Fapstronaut

Even WhatsApp is now designed to keep you hooked up in the screen because they have introduced "My status" Tab. I find it hard to stay away from this app because it connects me with friends, family and lectures for updates at school. But I was offline the whole weekend, my mind was so clear and quiet. And I felt inner peace. I didn't care what was happening. So far i have deactivated my twitter, Instagram. Only Facebook and WhatsApp are remaining.

Optimum Fortitude likes this.
  12. Drock989

Drock989 Fapstronaut

I quit social media about 4 weeks ago due to the fact I was using it in attempt to hide and justify my addiction , as it was not nude pictures my wife found out after I was clean for 4 months and I lied about it all, even though she caught me seem handed, in the last 4 weeks I have become more productive around them house and have had huge eye opener about how much she has done around the house and how much I didn't, I've been clean since September 24 and have never felt better, that was them last relapse I will ever have a8e them last time I will lie, I'm done with this disease