1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of sleep and benefits of turmeric

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Awakened & Aware, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Awakened & Aware

Awakened & Aware Moderator Assistant

Importance of sleep: I have noticed that if I do not get a good night's sleep, the discretion & control power of the mind reduces. It is perhaps well known that lack of sleep can cause irritability for anyone. What it means for a Fapstronaut is that there are more chances of anxiety/frustration over small things, and that, coupled with lesser discretion power of the mind, increases chances of a relapse. More than 50% of my last few relapses were when I did not get a good night's sleep. (I feel sleepy and irritable if I do not get 8 to 9 hours of good sleep - your requirement may of course wary). So my conjecture is that regular, sound sleep is very important for us - and we must be extra vigilant the next day if for some reason we do not have a good night's sleep. It might be a wise idea also to take few naps in the day, sacrifice some work if needed (non critical work of course) - but avoid getting irritable / anxious at all cost - as it can increase chances of a relapse.

An effective remedy for getting good sleep: I used to suffer from serious insomnia / irregular sleep for many years. On the one hand - the insomnia would occur when I was tensed / depressed. But to make things complicated, it would also occur when things & my routine were going perfectly well for days. Basically, if I would work out a good schedule for few days, I would get on a "mental" high state, and excessive energy / excitement would also bring insomnia. Since last few months however, I have found a simple, wonder remedy for insomnia (worked for me - results might vary!). I started mixing one teaspoon of turmeric powder with my bowl of milk in the morning, and taking one glass of warm/hot milk with a teaspoon of turmeric powder before going to bed. I started doing it for help in my cough/cold - but to my wonderful surprise - I started getting sound sleep within few days of this. (My professor who is also a Godfather like figure had earlier recommended turmeric to me, but I had regular intake only recently because of a persistent cold)! I experimented with other control parameters (like time of sleeping, place of sleep etc.) to verify that it was indeed due to the turmeric milk and so far I strongly feel there is a good correlation. Despite different situations, some even stressful ones, I have not had a single day of insomnia in the last 2 months (first time in 10-15 years) since I started taking milk with turmeric powder regularly. (There were couple of nights where I did have trouble getting sleep, but I read some spiritual books and had a sound sleep.)

Just thought of sharing this note on sleep, in case it helps someone!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Mango108, Reflexive, Freiheit and 2 others like this.
  2. Freiheit

Freiheit Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing! Ill try it out. Just milk and tumeric, right? It's also comon in Yoga to drink that, but for other reasons

3. Awakened & Aware

Yup - a glass of hot/warm milk with a teaspoon of turmeric. Keep in mind though - turmeric causes a little body heat (possibly you already know) so you have to find the right dose that suits you.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Freiheit and Deleted Account like this.
  4. I'm going to try this today ASAP. I have similar feelings of depression that seem to come up randomly. I feel that it has a lot to do with what you eat as your first meal. Thanks for the tip!

5. Frank201$

Frank201$ Fapstronaut

Hey thanks for the info. I too have problems with my sleep. I'll try the potion and hopefully it will help.

Awakened & Aware likes this.
  6. yany

yany New Fapstronaut

que producto es la curcuma?es de venta libre en farmacias?

7. Freiheit

Freiheit Fapstronaut

you can buy it in every grocery store...

8. Awakened & Aware

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. I didn't know Turmeric helps sleep, I take it myself for cognitive enhancement and as a bonus it's good for the joints, dopamine, serotonin and mood.

But why take the powder? Take the capsules, it's so much easier. I get mind cheap off ebay. Search for Tumeric but it's otherwise known as Curcumin and usually used for arthritis.

10. DaveHana

DaveHana Fapstronaut

I used to take circubrain from nowfoods and thought it was helpful in a variety of ways. i've been sleeping like crap lately, and think I will get back on it again. thanks for the reminder about tumeric. maybe check out the pills above, I think they are supposed to be good quality

11. Thanks for sharing mate, I'll definitely try it.. Been having erratic schedule for I dunno how many days.. & yeah you're right, we lose our self control & feel irritated due to inadequate sleep.. This leads to relapse which I've noticed so far that most of the time, it lead to strong urges & eventual relapse.. This streak has been no stranger to insomnia I've managed the urges with some efforts but this kind of lifestyle is not good for health.. So thanks again for sharing :)

12. Awakened & Aware

Interesting to know that there are capsules for this. In India (where I come from) turmeric powder is almost as common as common salt and is used for many a home remedies.

Also nice to know the benefits you shared!

Deleted Account likes this.