1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

video games are ruining my life

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by treborn, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Jinkazama

Jinkazama Banned

Hey People you have to cool down!
    Video games can of Course bring you cognitive Benefits, if you like them, enjoy them, and are not addicted to them!
    But you have to restrict yourself to your Holidays, evenings or free times!
    You gotta have a day time Job, or study something!

It should be more like a Hobby.

On the other Hand, aren't there professional Gamers being Paid just for that? Inspiring others, perfecting their art?

2. MarinoBigFan1984

MarinoBigFan1984 Fapstronaut

Get a job, make friends, live a real life not one on a screen. I will never understand the whole gamer thing.

3. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

It depends on the person really. This is a pretty subjective argument. In my experience, I had a lot of fun playing video games when I was younger, but when I look back, I know that I could have spent my time on things more productive and useful than sitting at my computer. Later on, I had to sell my computer because I realized that my desire to play video games was hurting my marriage.

You need to just look at your situation and your life, your goals, your desires. Quitting video games doesn't mean quitting fun, you can just have fun doing other things. If you're tired of sitting on the couch, go outside, find something that you enjoy to do that is active and will get you moving. Do things that will let you be more social with others, or if you're an introvert, just go find some quiet places outdoors to sit and write or read or draw. There are a million things you can do to have fun that don't have to be video games, and some of them might end up being something you discover that you want to spend your life pursuing. It's worth exploring yourself to find out what you really want.

It's too easy to sit down and turn on the video games. Do something that at the end of the day makes you feel like you truly accomplished something that you're proud of.

4. Tantalus

Tantalus Fapstronaut

I'll just quote Renton then from the classic Trainspotting - the world is full of neurotics

Choose life.
    Choose a job.
    Choose a career.
    Choose a family,
    Choose a fucking big television
    Choose washing machines, cars,
    Compact disc players, and electrical tin openers.
    Choose good health, low cholesterol
    And dental insurance.
    Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments.
    Choose a starter home.
    Choose your friends.
    Choose leisure wear and matching luggage.
    Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase
    In a range of fucking fabrics.
    Choose DIY and wondering who you
    Are on a Sunday morning.
    Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing
    Sprit-crushing ga me shows
    Stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
    Choose rotting away at the end of it all,
    Pishing you last in a miserable home
    Nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish,
    Fucked-up brats
    You have spawned to replace yourself.
    Choose your future. Choose life.

5. Jinkazama

Jinkazama Banned

you actually quoted me: This Forum is full of neurotics, I said that.

6. doctorcowherd

doctorcowherd Fapstronaut

Videogames aren't bad.

Hello. I design video games professionally! Videogames, like all art, are best when enjoyed by interacting with them critically. If you cannot evaluate why you enjoy things, you will fall to art made for the lowest common denominator.

Historically, societies have always had lowest common denominator entertainment going back to the coliseum. A lot of video games can provide instant titillation, but many of them can also provoke deeper thought and help us understand emotions we would not normally feel.

It's not wise to trust the words of people who are immediately willing to describe something as worthless just because they dislike it - those people are old at heart and would have you live as recreations of them and not find things that you yourself enjoy.

Perhaps if you think you are spending too much time playing videogames, you should evaluate what interests you about them. Could you write about them? Draw things from them? Make videos about them - or make your own game? You may discover you have underlying tastes that have been suppressed by years of basically consuming garbage meant to be pushed to the market with no thought behind it.

This is, underlying the way that all art is meant to be consumed. From books to television, movies to music. You should be willing to engage with the things you like, try and understand what about them it is that you like and dislike and why. This could even help you make art yourself.

7. So, I play video games myself but the thing is, I do other things besides video games as well. These things include reading, meditation, going outside, exercise, playing an instrument (I personally play the trumpet), etc. You got to have other hobbies besides video games to live a healthy lifestyle.

Another trick I have is that when I feel like I want to quit, when I start to feel tired of playing the game, I just quit and do the things I mentioned above. Quitting when you feel like so is how I manage to take World of Warcraft in moderation (yes, I know, the king of MMOs and MMOs in general are frowned upon in this forum).

Another thing is that you should start talking to people in real life as opposed to the game world. Hell, you should even start talking to your family a lot more and even start playing games with them. If you have some friends phone numbers, pick up the phone and call them!

Don't dwell 100% in the game world, go outside and see the beauty this world has to offer. After all, life can be beautiful and this is the only life we get (smell some roses or something, idk). I may play WoW but the thing is, I don't dwell 100% in the world of Azeroth, I get my ass off the seat and do other things besides that!

So yeah, bottom line is, just cut back time on video games, spend time doing more productive things like going to the gym for example, and start socializing with people if possible. After all, there's more to life than video games.

P.S. sorry for long rant. I didn't actually intend it to be this long but oh well.

-Captain Rex