1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Burden of Ambition

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by MelancholyWeightlifter, Dec 8, 2014.

1. MelancholyWeightlifter

MelancholyWeightlifter Distinguished Fapstronaut

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the man you know you could be? I swear, the specter of what I should be follows me everywhere. The scary thing is I KNOW I could do something great, but now I have to do it. Once I set these goals for myself, I have taken on the weight of accomplishment. No more will a "normal" life make me happy. If I don't feel like I'm adequately working towards my goals, I am unhappy and frustrated. This, I feel, is equal parts incredibly overwhelming, and extremely exciting. I just can't lose focus...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. purity

purity Fapstronaut

Yes. This always led me to sabotage the greatness I was growing into in the past.

Even though I didn't recognize it, people in my life who wanted to see me improve pointed it out to me. I didn't want to see because I was afraid. Afraid of rising above the masses of mediocrity. I almost felt that it was too much, that why should I have such an opportunity to be so great? Everytime I started to do really great and climb the ladder towards something OUTSTANDING I would backslide and sabotage myself.

This is a terrible habit I need to break immediately. I may have a phenomenal job opportunity being presented to me, and I can feel this fear growing, a little voice in the back of my head whispering, "Do you really think you're worthy?" "What if they laugh at you?" I suppose social anxiety and self esteem play into it too. I'm a self-critical semi-perfectionist.

3. As Life

As Life Fapstronaut

This is a common thing, but have you ever noticed people that don't even have a higher image of them selves, at least you have that, but in the end it's yourself that has to get out of the way of your progress and I think the reason why we sabotage ourselves is because it's a familar teritory, and I think the question needs to be asked do I really know how to be happy, not what makes me happy but do I feel worthy of simple happiness. And is this idea of happieness just another ilusion of a goal in the future or is it a way of life towards something that I have set for my self.:)

4. cdg2892

cdg2892 Fapstronaut

Unfortunately yes, especially as a borderline perfectionist T.T I feel like me failing to achieve my goals would just be testament of not giving the full potential effort that I could have given. It's even worse since I chose one of the hardest majors (I'm a college student) out there and I expect nothing but greatness from myself.

I feel like it's good to have ambition though. Gives you a sense of self confidence, of a goal that so many of us in our generation don't know what they are. For me, it just gives me the drive to keep moving forward, even in my less than stellar days..

5. IGY

IGY Guest

Surely our spiritual aspirations are the highest and purest we can have. But we shouldn't feel overwhelmed by them as we are under the power and blessing of God Himself.

6. MelancholyWeightlifter

It seems you guys feel similar to me. Oddly enough, I have this confidence that I can do pretty much anything I put my mind to. But yet, my self esteem is low because I have yet to really accomplish anything. It's an odd dichotomy. I'm working hard though, and I'll never give up.

7. Whatever

Whatever Fapstronaut

Every moment of wisdom is an accomplishment since I am existence. The past and future never happen.

All that exists exists and nothing does not exist. Therefore, the time is now.

8. MelancholyWeightlifter

I do believe happiness is an illusion As Life. I really do not seek it. I seek...fulfillment and contentment with my efforts, the knowledge that I gave it my all.

The thing is IGY, God can't make me do anything. He helps, but it's still up to me to step up. That....that is the hard part.

I don't agree with that philosophy PHOENIXZEUS. Every action in the present effects the future. Inaction now damns my future self.

9. Whatever

Whatever Fapstronaut

I agree. Every experience changes you, and therefore it changes your destiny. A wise man once said "Ethos Anthropos Daymon" "Character is Fate".
    But still, only what exists exists, therefore now.

Happiness is peace, happiness is absence of pain. Nature is pain, happiness lies in the negation of nature.
    Therefore nofap.

What we all need is to chill the f+++ out in a way that's not boring. lol.:D

10. MelancholyWeightlifter

Hmmmm interesting. I definitely agree that the further we get from our animalistic tendencies, the more content we are.

11. Whatever

Whatever Fapstronaut

12. MelancholyWeightlifter

With all do respect, screw fate. Of course, luck is involved in life, I could die tomorrow. But I am of the opinion that if you are smart enough, strong enough, driven enough, you can't fail. The power of the human spirit is immeasurable.

13. A great life is a hard life

14. Vision

Vision Fapstronaut

Good thread. But any concrete examples? What are your goals? I would like to be a good Christian, a good father and excellent in my work. I guess many people would consider me successful but I constantly feel self-doubts.

15. MelancholyWeightlifter

My religious goals are the biggest. I'd like to do missionary work. Right now I'm also going through a difficult plumbing apprenticeship. I'm trying to reach my goals on lifting as well.

16. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

I also feel like you, in a sense that I am confident that if I put myself into anything, I can do it.

What worked for a few months was putting the things I want to do in time blocks. That way A, B, C gets all done, or at least one is satisfied with giving it a shot.

I still struggle with this. Best of luck with your ambitions MelancholyWeightLifter!

17. MelancholyWeightlifter

Yeah man, organization is so important. Breaking things into chunks makes it a lot more manageable. When I dwell on the long term I just get overwhelmed.

18. Earnest Lee

Earnest Lee Fapstronaut

Aquinas would say that grace builds on nature. Here, I think that would mean that the grace (power) is God's, but the action (the act of the will, the choice) is yours.