1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

To Facebook or Not?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 17, 2018.

1. ive never used Facebook...
    am considering signing up but am wondering if iam missing anything?

could see sharing pics and reconnecting with folks from the past but
    have read many here deleting as its been a source of triggers, timesink,
    and vanity

2. I use Facebook exclusively for news. I follow whole bunch of journalists, news websites, companies who I am stalking for interesting products and that's it. It's like a news website for me, not a social website. All my news from all the sources in one place. It's very nice for that. Also companies and brands use it to advertise stuff as well.

These pretty much only things it's good for if you ask me. For sharing pics Instagram is better. For live chat Whatsapp is better. For dating Tinder is better. For everything else that Facebook does there is website that does is better and is more popular for that. For reconnecting with people from past? Yea, you use Facebook for that... until you find out their Instagram and then you keep reconnecting with them there instead...

Also Facebook is also spying on you and selling your data to other firms and even other governments. Have you heard of recent drama? Facebook founder being called to testify in front of congress? And recently we found out they sold user data to Chinese? So if you care about privacy do not use Facebook. I personally don't care lol so I do. And it's not like other social media sites are not doing the same so whatever...

But most of the people are leaving Facebook. Especially young people. Either because it does not protect user privacy or simply because it is old and outdated now. It's dying off like Myspace did...

SanctionedUser001 likes this.
  3. TheNewPat

TheNewPat Fapstronaut

You know FB owns insta right?

4. Lyfe

Lyfe Fapstronaut

Facebook owns:
    Instagram
    Messenger
    WhatsApp
    Oculus VR

5. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

You have missed nothing IMO.

6. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I've been on it before. Everyone raved about it. I joined. I added all of my family and "friends". I looked at their pages. I said, "Who are these people?". People I knew in real life for years had completely different personas online. Some of them were annoying, always posting about how anyone who eats meat is going to hell, how I had not done enough to save the whales, or how bigoted I am for having conservative conventions. I left. One of the better things I've done. Basically, Facebook is a waste of time.

7. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

There's good and bad that comes from social media. It just depends how you use it and the time management on it. You REALLY need thick skin in order to read Facebook or Twitter, or it will depress you due to the sheer ignorance plaguing those sites.

8. Sure, I know. But, like I said, I personally don't really care about that whole privacy thing, so it does not matter for me what other sites Facebook owns...

9. thanks for your thoughts guys.

@The Serpent of Fire, I did hear some vague details of the data breach or sale of data but don't know all the details. that's funny you say its 'old and outdated' cause to me its still
    new and mysterious lol iam partly reluctant due to the perceived difficulty in setting it up/navigating... iam old school basic when it comes to computers lol other part of my reluctance is knowing my addictive personality, could see spending a lot of time on there and perhaps making me even more narcissistic than I already am.

@LEPAGE, you raise a valid concern and one ive heard before. you re-connect with all these people but will likely never actually see so I wonder how deep and meaningful the connection is. at least on a site like this we can discuss thoughts, ideas etc

@MLMVSS, very well said.

LEPAGE likes this.
  10. The groups in Facebook are great and no other site/app have done groups as well as do them.

You need a thick skin to read this forum as well... Really there isn't much difference between people who use Facebook and the people who use this site.

11. another positive ive heard is some people have reconnected after many years...
    sometimes resulting in marriages.