1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How come I don’t feel like a grown up ?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Kman20, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

I’m 22 years old, I’ve been on nofap now, working on my career everyday and have my own car and license now. However I still can’t shake the feeling that I’m still a child, I see other couples that are in their 20s in public and they just seem so much more like adults than I do. I’m working on getting a new job right now and looking for internships so I’m thinking maybe once I’m working regularly while going to school I’ll feel like an adult ? Al though I don’t live alone or even with a roommate so I feel like that’s a big factor in this feeling of inmaturity too. I don’t know, do I need to have my own place to finally feel that sense of maturity ? What does it take ? I still don’t feel like a grown up and I don’t know why. But it shows in my character for sure.

positivefunction, P-Free and A41:14A like this.
  2. Johnson DiMaggio

Johnson DiMaggio New Fapstronaut

Unfortunately, the older generation puts this idea in our heads. I understand how you feel. We think what makes us an adult is ownership, but that's not everything. We should be encouraged to make decisions at our own pace instead of theirs. You're sound like a capable adult to me. Don't sell yourself short because you don't have your own place. Emotional Intelligence is the biggest sign of maturity.

Knighthawk, SilentJay313 and Kman20 like this.
  3. TheNewPat

TheNewPat Fapstronaut

Fuck getting old!
    Enjoy your youth!
    Have fun!
    Party hard!

Maturity will all of a sudden engulf you and you will envy young and carefree people.

Hitto, silenteagle and LookUp like this.
  4. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

Thanks I guess I need to just change my perspective on things. Or maybe its cause I’m not facing the real world enough :/. Seems that way to me.

5. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Hey @Kman20 As one of the older generation (but not the douchey kind), I think that @Johnson DiMaggio gave you the perfect advice!

Believe me, if you believe the shit they sell you idea-wise these days about what you “should” do, you’re going to stress all the joy - and what makes you, you - out of your life.

I’m 50 dude, and I can still feel that way if I compare myself to others in my field. But ya know what? I make good bank, I’m happy and I’m sure af not living 80 hours per week at the office.

Listen to @Johnson DiMaggio man, he’s got it right. Stop comparing yourself to others and be you at your own pace. :)

6. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

I teach my kids maturity is learning from thier mistakes. Wisdom is learning from others' mistakes.

Maturity has more to do with responsibility and integrity. You want to be more mature? Do what you say you will do, think before you act, don't be a flake or make excuses.

@Kman20 it looks like you're mature to me, #1. You're asking the question, and #2. You're on noFap. How many others your age are already getting thier stuff together. That's very commendable.

O be wise

izdwuut, Hitto, IncenseCedar and 3 others like this.
  7. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

@Reverent YES!!!!

This is awesome advice!

@Kman20 I second everything Reverent said about you being mature.

Hitto and Kman20 like this.
  8. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

@Reverent Thank you. I’ve learned in the past week that being responsible and stopping complaining are big ways to become mature. I’ve definitely been a bit irresponsible lately and I’m not exactly doing everything I could be and ignore small problems. @P-Free Thank you ! You are a very kind person :).

9. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

You are most welcome, @Kman20! You’re a good man and deserve to live your version of life/happiness. :)

Kman20 likes this.
  10. LookUp

LookUp Fapstronaut

Depending on how long you used PMO, you may have emotionally held yourself back. Heavy addiction tends to freeze us in time, and we end up growing up the tough way...suddenly which doesn't really work. It takes time. You will be fine if I'm right or if I'm full of shit...of that I'm sure.
    PMO is strong bad medicine. The movement to stop is the most inspiring thing I've seen. Alcohol was easy compared to this, and it was a bitch. It almost took me down. I can see a scenario where unchecked PMO could do the same. I can invision this leading to physical harm and or death in extreme cases. That and leading down paths we don't want to go but are drawn to. Stop looking at the P and it's power us gone.

TheNewPat likes this.
  11. Giuoco

Giuoco Fapstronaut

I think @Reverent has some good points. I'd like to add a couple more.

Maturity has a very loose definition, especially the way you've presented it here. If we break it down there are lots of levels we can explore. A few examples to think about:
    Physical maturity - Are you fully grown? How well do you look after your body?
    Emotional maturity - How do you get on with others? Do you stop and recognise your own emotions?
    Financial maturity - This is massively overlooked. A lot of people just aren't sensible with their money and don't make good decisions.
    Mental maturity - How clearly do you think? How willing are you to take responsibility for yourself? How committed are you to improving yourself?

Those are but a few. The point is - whilst you may not feel mature in one area, you may be better in another. You can always better yourself and seeing as you're already asking the question (i.e. you're self-aware) I'd say you'll be just fine.

Deleted Account and Kman20 like this.
  12. Koriyama

Koriyama Fapstronaut

Hi Kman,

Without knowing you personally, all I can offer are some generalities. Your post does seem mature enough and you're asking the right questions.

In developmental psychology, there are a number of frameworks that describe the life path into adulthood. Psychosocial theories (Erikson's identity development is the most famous), moral development (see Kohlberg) and intellectual development (Perry is a good start). You could have a look at these. Be critically reflective/honest about yourself and see where you fit in to these frameworks.

However, I want to mention Robert Kegan's evolution of consciousness theory. He posits six life stages. A stage is characterised by what the individual can see and what they cannot see. For example, a fish cannot see water, and many people here (until joining this site) could not see the dangers of PM. A life element that can be seen is said to be in the 'objective'. The individual can think about that element separately from their own identity/self. Something that cannot be seen is in the 'subjective'; i.e. the individual is 'subject' to the influence of that element. The process of maturity, according to this framework, is the gradual moving of erstwhile subjective elements into the objective. The point is that once a new stage is reached (that is, many elements have entered the objective), the individual sees the world in a new light.

When an individual enters a higher stage, they often feel that they are young, reborn, new. Perhaps immature. They may feel silly not to have seen those subjective elements before. Now that these newly objective elements are obvious, the individual often supposes that everyone else must know about them, too. The person may feel inadequate, even though they may simultaneously experience the exhilaration of rebirth. The reality is often that the individual is projecting their new realisations onto others in absence of any evidence that the other people have changed at all.

So, in a nutshell, don't worry about what others are thinking. Just keep on questioning yourself. Open up those subjective influences on you through reflection. And good luck.

moominfindinglight and P-Free like this.
  13. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Thank you for sharing this, @Koriyama! I'm 50 year old and I sometimes feel immature. Based on the information provided in the second-to-last paragraph, it makes perfect sense! Right now, for instance, I can't believe I couldn't see it before. Thank you, again. Have a wonderful day!

Koriyama likes this.
  14. Don't let what societys grip leech onto you. To me you seem fine as a 22 year old.

P-Free likes this.
  15. positivefunction

positivefunction Fapstronaut

I have felt this way before:

I think it isn't the feeling of being grown up, but its the feeling of not being in the same "herd" as the people you consider to be grown up.

For example, if your definition of being grown up is having a good job, girlfriend, own house, and you don't have one or more of these things, you will naturally feel like you don't belong to that class of people.

Kman20 and P-Free like this.
  16. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head here. I don’t have those things so I don’t feel up to par I guess ?

positivefunction and P-Free like this.
  17. Giuoco

Giuoco Fapstronaut

You shouldn't compare yourself to others (which is a lot harder than it sounds).

Even Hollywood A-Listers can be depressed, alcoholics and drug addicts, you just wouldn't know it.

Compare yourself to the person you were yesterday and just be the best "you" today.

P-Free likes this.
  18. expressyourself

expressyourself Fapstronaut

If I were you, I would start doing things that really fucking shakes you up.
    Stuff that scares the shit out of you that you don't want to do, this is the times where you grow the most.
    When I was 18 I was so tired of always doing what my parents told me and only going to school for satisfying them.
    So I dropped out of High School, I packed my bag and travelled all over the world.
    This was scary for me, but I did it out of instinct.

1. I just wanted to get away and to signal to my parents I didn't give a fuck
    2. I had a deep desire to explore the world and just get the fuck outta my comfort zone.

Since I did that I have grown so-so much that my parents are actually proud of me today.
    I have never been in a better shape or mindset before, and all this started out by me doing something uncomfortable, that I knew I had to do and which scared the fuck out of me.

I think you're lacking authenticity maybe?
    Start listening to what you really want...
    And don't think about jobs/money.
    What would you REALLY do & be passionate about, if money was no object?

You have nothing to lose man.
    People can travel all over the world for as much as 0 cents.
    Make a plan and execute!

I believe in you!

positivefunction and Kman20 like this.
  19. positivefunction

positivefunction Fapstronaut

Probably. Remove the definition of grown up from your head. That's the only awy.

I used to think a perfect life was one where I had lots of friends, a hot girlfriend, academic success, etc.

I have none of these things, but that doesn't mean my life is a waste or something

P-Free likes this.
  20. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

@alphaparty Thanks for your reply I think you’re right. Afterall a quality of a mature person is being courageous and there are a lot of things I’m holding myself back from doing because of feae. For instance a big one for me is fear of rejection. I HAVE NEVER ASKED A GIRL OUT BEFORE and feel like I should and I won’t feel like such a child and plus I’d grow confidence from it Rejection or not.

I also feel with your take on authenticity that I should really pursue my hobbies and get to the point where I love doing them instead of them feeling like chores for me.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    P-Free likes this.