1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your top irrational fears?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by MasterRoshi, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MasterRoshi

MasterRoshi Fapstronaut

I have lived my life in fear. And not the healthy kind, like lions mauling me. Even the fear of spiders, heights and clowns in some way are all healthy, because it’s abnormal and creepy lol.

The fears I’m talking about are the irrational ones that stand in the way of us being who we truly are. I’ll start us off.

So, I spent 10 years as a professional in the music industry. When I made my own music I always gravitated towards music that had a beat, something you could dance to... but I’ve always been way to self concious to actually dance.

So, along with my daily morning routine to help with PMO (prayer, meditation journaling, exercise), I am going to start dancing by myself in my room with headphones on.

Today was day one. Taylor Swift’s “shake it off” was the song of choice.

I actually started to cry uncontrollably because it felt really good and fun and I spent so many years running from it out of fear!

What are some of your irrational fears?

2. Spiders. I'm terrified of them, and its ridiculous. I know some people say it's not irrational, because some of them are poisonous, but I'm not only scared of the poisonous ones. I'm scared of the little itty bitty ones too.

This has been a big problem in a lot of ways. I even had to cancel one of my cleaning clients because they always had so many spiders in their house, sometimes even really huge ones, and I would be so anxious the whole time I was there that I just couldn't take it anymore.

Thankfully it seems to be getting a little better with age. The more I have to deal with them on my own, due to being the only one home, the more I get used to it. I'm not as terrified to have to kill the small ones when I have to, but they still scare me a lot.

3. Ha, that cant be good, a fear of spiders as a cleaner. I do remodel construction and ive seen a lot of houses (especially basements) just crawling with them.

4. Id say...doctors. i hate going to the doctors. I sit in the waiting room with my palms sweating and my heart racing 100 miles an hour. They always think i have high blood pressure, but i try to tell them its nust because im freaking out about being there.

5. Ugh, I feel that way about the gynocolgist. I'm 25 and I've still never had the regular check ups you're supposed to have because I'm terrified of it.

6. I also really hate being around people who are throwing up. I get weirdly anxious about the possibility of that happening.

MasterRoshi likes this.
  7. Yeah, thats never good. Ew.

MasterRoshi likes this.
  8. dev1001

dev1001 Fapstronaut

I have this crazy fear of dying all of a sudden in a moment when I am perfectly fine and happy due to a cardiac arrest or something. Three people I knew in my life have died like that. It's like they were fine one moment and collapsed, dead the next moment.

I don't fear death, I just fear dying in an instant. I would like to prepare for death ideally.

Other than that, my rational fear is bedbugs ! Those creatures scare the shit out of me .

9. I'm usually not bothered by insects, but this one is definitely an exception. and I didn't even know these little fuckers existed until about a year ago. I guess they're pretty rare or something

anyway, I'm out front smoking hookah with some homies when suddenly the conversation drops dead silent. I look behind me to see what's going on -- and I'm confronted with the first insect to make me legetimetly fear for my life. it looked like a massive, black scorpion of some kind crawling up the brick wall behind me, only the tail looked a lot different from the bark scorpions I've seen around my yard. I didn't even think it was real at first. I've lived here my whole life, how have I not seen this before? I thought it crawled out from the depths of some spilled nuclear waste or something

we killed it as soon as we could, and promptly ended the hookah session from there. I can still hear the crunchy sound of the tree branch in my hand crushing its body. I didn't sleep a wink that night. but thankfully, I haven't seen one of them since

they're called vinagroons, aka the whip scorpion. here's a picture of one -- for those who are squeamish, you've been warned

[​IMG]

10. I am a bit of a germaphobe I sometimes find myself doing excessive polishing to keep them away and also find myself worrying about spreading my own germs idk I think I’m worried of other people finding me dirty though I wash quite a bit and if I don’t feel clean I can get a bit disgusted I guess I should do more exposer to overcome this idk it’s so annoying

MasterRoshi likes this.
  11. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I don’t have irrational fears.

... okay, fine.

My one fear is probably the fear of disappointing the ones whom I care dearly for, the ones I promised to defend and protect, etc. it’s more rational now but it got to the point where everything that happened to anyone in my family I blamed myself on.

12. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Lol yeah understandable. Growing up, I was quite acquainted with the hospital personnel, probably more than I should’ve, but now, although I don’t hate it there, I’d rather be anywhere else. Especially with the way the hospital smells.

I like spiders, but I completely understand. My flatmate has 2 tarantulas (one of his several “pet” ideas), and one of them ALWAYS manages to escape its enclosure somehow. For awhile, I had to be extra alert everywhere in my flat because there was a giant spider running amok somewhere in there. It was insane! But lately we haven’t had issues.

He also has a snake that escaped once, but that’s another story, and just as frightening.

Moon Shot and Optimum Fortitude like this.
  13. Liberal yahoos taking my guns

14. Jk I don't have any guns and I'm moderate. But more seriously I would say I don't really have irrational fears. Who's to say what an irrational fear is? If you have legitimate fear doesn't that make it rational?

I used to be afraid of bees and wasps but now I'm not. Ive never been stung but ive been cut (not stabbing, accidental lol), burned (2nd degree a few times), my chin busted open (accidental, again). I figure a bee sting hurts less than that so whatever.

15. Omg... I would absolutely have to move. There's no way.

I would say if you are afraid of something that can't harm you, it's irrational. It's not rational for me to be afraid of a completely harmless, tiny little spider.

16. Theguywiththething

Theguywiththething Fapstronaut

I have this fear that everyone I love and like is pretending to like me because sometimes I say interesting and funny things, even people for whom this would be silly, like my dad or my sister. I am afraid one day, I won't be on, and someone who was expecting me to say something interesting or funny will be disappointed. Then they will realize how boring or ugly or stupid I am, and they will gradually phase me out of their life. This causes me to avoid people, so I have new stories to tell them, and so I don't have to "on" as long.

I also have this fear of abandonment. My mom died, and then a lot of people tried to be supported but decided that I was too deep in the pit of morning for them.

MasterRoshi likes this.
  17. So would I.

I guess I have a fear of spiders as well. If I see a spider in my room I kill it, I'm sorry it might be cruel but it's in my room, I don't go around killing spiders outside but they shouldn't be in my place.

Hights. I don't know if it's irrational since if you fall from great heights you could die or get seriously injured. I hate going on the deck of big ships. While going from Calais to Dover on a P&O ship I wandered on the deck and briefly looked down and I had to quickly rush inside because it was so terrifying so the ocean below me. Even thinking about it now makes me feel scared. The funny thing is if it was a smaller ship I probably wouldn't be afraid. I don't know where this fear came from since I didn't have it throughout my teens, it seemed to start in my mid 20's and I can't think of why it happened.

18. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

My life is full of fears which thank God are just in my head
    Fear of losing my dear ones
    Acrophobia
    Hydrophobia
    Lizard
    Public speaking....to name a few

19. MasterRoshi

MasterRoshi Fapstronaut

Woah!! Holy shiz!

This is exactly in my head. No joke. 100% this is me even to the statement that I actually say I’m afraid one day I “wont be on”

Thank it so much for sharing!!!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Theguywiththething likes this.
  20. It can harm you. It causes mental distress. Not all dangers are physical