1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't know what to do with my life

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Mar 27, 2018.

1. I'm almost 18, graduating High School and life seems uncertain. I live in pretty nice town at the moment and I plan to go to community college here for a bit. But other then that everything feels empty. I don't really know who I am anymore, what my interests are, or goals in life. Also PMO has robbed me of making close friends and I feel pretty lonley, I'm not even good at maintaing many internet friendships cause I am so boring. Of course this also means I'm terrible with girls but thats the least of my concern right now. I just feel like a child who has really woken up and now feels like nothing he did before ever really mattered. I'm only day 2 PMO free on my Nofap journey, it gives me something to do but I just feel so disconnected with the world.

2. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

You don't have to decide all at once, and plenty of people who are MUCH older get to this point later so you're not doing so bad!

asbgca likes this.
  3. Ongoingsupport

Oh, check out clubs while at college, a great way to broaden horizons and meet people.

asbgca and My Best self like this.
  4. pmotina

pmotina Fapstronaut

wow, i (17 aswell) can relate so much with you!! especially with the child woken up-part.
    what i'm doing right now is trying to stay strong on this nofap journey and hoping that through the rebooting of my brain, i am able to see one day what i really want clearly.
    also, i highly recommend educating yourself on self-improvement. for the girls part, just staying on nofap forever will do. trust me.
    other than that, when it comes to being boring, i can highly recommend looking for new hobbies. pick an artistic one(singing,painting, playing an instrument, writing...), a mentally stimulating one(reading, debating, chess...) and a physical one(any sports) and you'll sure gonna have something to talk about and will feel better about yourself.
    protip: working on your posture makes a huge difference in how you feel about yourself and how others treat you aswell. i HIGHLY recommend by starting out with doing planks and side planks, trust me!!!

that's about it.
    i hope i could help you out a bit.

asbgca and My Best self like this.
  5. I agree try clubs find one that interests you it’s easier to find friends who share a common interest

6. I just want to feel like im not wasting my life

moonesque and pmotina like this.
  7. Why don’t you take up a hobby read a book do a project where you make somthing get some exercise train in somthing so you can be better then most in that area learn a language

8. Everyone my age make it seem like they got this extravagant life, going to parties, different states for colleges, some even start a small business and they all seem to chat with each other and interact so well, human interaction is so alien to me.

9. Ongoingsupport

Some of us who are much older are still introverts, that has its own gifts though.

10. Someone gave me a hug once, and I was super awkward about it

11. Ongoingsupport

I don't really feel a lot of hugs either, unfortunately I know it's about them most of the time and not so much about knowing and liking me for who I am.

But I think at your age it can be a lot easier but it will take time. Just be honest about who you are, you might be surprised how many adults are disengenuous and then become surprised later. Or worse they never get that honest about what their bonds are based on..

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. asbgca

asbgca Fapstronaut

That's a hard place to be, man. I hear you. I was socially awkward all through high school and college. A girl would talk to me, then I get all panicky and avoid her for the rest of the year. I moved from another country in my teens, so I had a lot of work to do to learn how to belong.

Social skills can be learned though, don't worry about that. You can read books about it and in a few months you can learn how to be better with people.

But there's something more important that sits under your social skills and your confidence. It's what you're passionate about in life - your life purpose. What's your life about? What gets you up in the morning? What kind of difference do you want to make in the world? What do you want to be known for?

I know you don't have the answers right now, and that's okay. Most of us don't. I'm 32, I spent years in college and I still don't fully know what my life is about. The answers don't come overnight. What's important though is that you're asking the right questions. Think of it like building a house. Once you start asking "What's my life about?" you're laying the foundation. Building the house takes time, but once you start then you're on your way there. A lot of people never even start, so you're already way ahead of the game bud. And keep up your nofap for sure, that makes it a lot easier to find your purpose. It's a pretty safe bet, by the time you get to 90 days nofap you'll probably have an answer.

For now here's an exercise you can do: imagine someone will give you $500 to write your life's purpose in half an hour. You can always change it later on, but you gotta have something written down in 30 minutes, otherwise no cash. You go for the cash. What do you write down?

13. Bizzle

Bizzle Fapstronaut

Hey bud, im 29, and have no idea what i'm doing. I get how frustrating it is. I've been single since i was 18 and I always felt like once i figure out what im really doing with my life, that everything else would fall into place. Looking back, I wish i didnt spend time worrying about it. Set a couple goals and dont worry about the rest. It'll eat you up while you could just be enjoying life and letting it take you thru a journey in life. I also think its great that your trying to work on your PMO problem early on in life. You'll benefit from it more than you know once you're free of it

Deleted Account and asbgca like this.
  14. present2015

present2015 Fapstronaut

If you really want to wake up join the Military. Specifically the Marines. That will wake you up quickly and give you a diffetent perspective about life. At least for me it was an eye opener.

15. I would but as much as love the military the chances of just getting shot in some middle eastern war and dieing is a good possibility.

16. meatsandwich

meatsandwich Fapstronaut

You could learn new language and expand your knowledge horizon as there is great sites,
    then also you could learn a little bit of ethical hacking or programming,
    it would all help you in the future and there is the full Internet with resources.

I never really went to parties even when I'm in my 20's, life isn't about parties and having fun,
    it's about improving yourself and social interactions that are pushed and you don't feel comfortable and you do it
    for the sake to be part of some kind group is massive nonsense.

I can't suggest you go to the army, as you would just be serving companies to just rob other countries of their resources to fill
    pockets of ''elites'' while they never would go into war and the places in the middle east where the USA goes isn't in any way
    making anything better for example the starvation of Yemen people is the USA and Saudi made, as they starve them
    to defeat the rebels who were fighting for the democracy. While in Syria they involve is the sake of ''democracy'' but after the
    rebels gonna win it gonna be Islamic dictatorship.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    asbgca and Deleted Account like this.
  17. present2015

present2015 Fapstronaut

"But other then that everything feels empty. I don't really know who I am anymore" YOUR WORDS.

"I just feel so disconnected with the world." YOUR WORDS.

So you are afraid to live but are also afraid to die? You have to make a decision with your life and go with it. Once you figure out that life is worth living then hopefully you get a chance to enjoy it. Indecision will kill you. Today, we have too many choices that we cannot make one. My word of advice from Marine sayings.. "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way".

But DO SOMETHING.

18. present2015

present2015 Fapstronaut

I agree with MeatSandwich.
    I normally don't put politics in Military Service comments. It is just an option while you make up your mind about life. Politically, my views on WAR is that there is no reason for it.