1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What are Some Good Workouts that Don't Require Equipment?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by rubrickscubes, Feb 6, 2018.

1. rubrickscubes

rubrickscubes Fapstronaut

I'm looking to spend my energy on other things besides video games and PMO, but there are so many exercise plans on the internet I don't know where to start. Any tips?

2. Try a 100 workout:
    1. 25 push-ups
    2. 25 sit ups
    3. 25 bodyweight squats
    4. 25 burpees
    5. Rest
    Repeat 3-5 times.

3. No equipment, DemonSemen's (that name tho...) suggestion is great. Especially burpees, do those properly and you'll feel the burn.

If you want a simple piece of equipment that can increase versatility, try a dip station (add hanging handles). Adds an extra level.

You can get a weighted vest to take it even further if needed.

RecoveringLion and rubrickscubes like this.
  4. RecoveringLion

RecoveringLion Fapstronaut

Agreed. You dont need much. DemonSemen’s (but yeah seriously that name...) suggestion is perfect. Just research form and work on graduating to slow declines on the pushups and squats. Do that routine for 2-5 sets 4-6 times a week and you will absolutely lose weight and gain muscle. If your goal is to lose weight, just make sure you are getting your body weight in grams of protein per day (200lbs = 200grams of protein), and keep your daily calories to around 1600-2000 max. If you are getting your protein, and calories are in that range, you can eat whatever else you want for now and you will make progress.
    Start small. Give yourself easy wins, and increase the intensity as you feel ready for the next challenge. NOW GET AFTER IT!!

5. franco216

franco216 Fapstronaut

6. Insanity doesn't require any equipment and it will definitely get the job done. I know from experience.

7. just join a gym . If you need any help with workouts and lifting heavy shit contact me gym is my life. Now here is something you can try. My supervisor and i did this workout when i was working at a hotel gym in turkey.

30 jumping jacks
    20 burpes
    then 20 crunches and after one crunch jump up in the air and do a squat and then a crunch again
    30 moutain climers
    20 pushups
    10 inverted rows
    15 bicep curls
    15 pullpus
    we did that for 5 sets and then we did shoulders

8. Optimist85

Optimist85 Fapstronaut

Do calisthenics. There are even free apps with workout routines, if you can't make your own workout.
    It's pointless to tell you how much reps you should make. Just make a couple of sets of as many as you can. work out max 5 days a week with two rest days.

chest and triceps:
    push ups
    dips (you can do them in a park)

back and biceps:
    pull ups (get a bar, go to the park, or use a tree. if you are too weak get resistance bands on ebay to support you)
    rows on low bar

shoulders:
    handstand push ups or some variation
    isometric exercises

abs:
    random ab exercise like crunches, planks, leg raises

legs:
    variations of lunges
    variations of hip raises
    variations of calf raises
    sprints

cardio:
    skipping rope
    burpees
    running
    swimming

Have fun

rubrickscubes likes this.
  9. A common mistake I see a lot of people who don't use weights making is doing lots of push ups but then failing to do any back exercises. That's a great way to get rounded shoulders, pain, and mess with your posture. So make sure you do as much pulling as pushing, i.e. pull-ups, chin-ups, inverted rows etc. If you don't have a pull-up bar, get one.

As for an actual routine. Ultimately progression is how you build muscle and strength. You can't just lift the same weight for the same amount of reps indefinitely and expect to keep getting stronger/bigger, it doesn't work like that. As your body grows and improves, you need to increase the difficulty to stimulate further growth. With weights this is easy, just add weight over time. Without weights, you can of course add reps/sets, but if you keep doing this, your workouts will take the entire day to complete eventually. So instead, what you typically do is move on to more difficult variations of the same exercise.

So this routine I'm linking is great because it has all the progression outlined for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

You can ignore the skill work and warm ups if you want. The "Strength work" portion is the main workout. That said, if you do the warm ups and skill work, they'll help with the main part of your workout too. So they're worth doing if you have time.

Make sure you click the links to see the progression. For example, it says:

Make sure to click the bit that says "pull-up progression" and look at the actual progression you're supposed to follow.

rubrickscubes and RecoveringLion like this.
  10. tiredofbeingtired

tiredofbeingtired Fapstronaut

/r/bodyweightfitness's recommendended routine

rubrickscubes likes this.
  11. Xuarez

Xuarez Fapstronaut

read about calisthenics (and street workout), then find some sets for muscle parts

my propositions:

-abs: - this is the best abs workout for me, if it's too hard then try to do just normal crunches, leg raises or planks as it was said few posts higher

- chest:
    - 15 wide push ups
    - 15 narrow push ups
    - 15 diamonds
    - 20 side push ups (10 per side)

- back
    - 30 supermans

- legs
    - 30-50 squats
    - running

- biceps... it's a problem if you don't have any bars or dumbbells :/

- shoulders
    - 10 hindu push ups

I used do about 4-5 series of chest, the same with back, legs and shoulders. I repeat abs exercises only twice (as it is in the film) :)

This is a totally basic set, if you would like to do something more advanced then send me a message, I'll send you a better set.

12. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Already a variety of recommendations, overwhelmed yet?

My super simple initial thoughts: Do ONE thing consistently, then add to it. Change when you know better but doing takes priority.

HooEmAi and rubrickscubes like this.
  13. Regular push ups are great.

14. Strongboar

Strongboar Fapstronaut

I use a deck of cards.

Lets say I make Spades Squats, Hearts Pushups, Clubs Bicep Curls (Im currently using a full milk jug) and Diamonds Situps.

Then I go thru the deck.

If I pull a 8 of Hearts, I do 8 pushups. If I pull a King (num. value 13) of Spades I do 13 Squats. If I pull a 5 of Diamonds, I do 5 situps

Learned it from some jailhouse friends, works great to get a guy started.

-SB

15. HooEmAi

HooEmAi Fapstronaut

You'll at least need to find something to pull yourself up off of, like a tree limb for chin ups (vertical pulling) and, if you can, also a lower apparatus to practice Australian rows (horizontal pulling). You may also want to improvise a way to do dips (two chairs, park parallel bars, two countertops, balcony, etc.). Other than that, you can't go wrong with working the basics of push ups, dips, chin ups, pull ups, rows, lunges, squats, sit ups, side crunches, hollow/arch holds. As to the programming aspect, I'm starting to find it doesn't really matter how you do it, just so long as you are within your recoverable total volume (total weight moved).

Some good programming advisement can come from many YT'ers. Some of the more legit bodyweight guys out there are ThenX and Red Delta Project. Whatever you do, don't just hodgepodge follow some bullshit "workouts" people give you arbitrarily on here, or on "barstarzz.com" or whatever. Think progression and YOUR goals. Think about constructing a program that makes sense for you and YOUR goals. I realize all the above can make things seem complicated, but it's really not. It's just picking the exercises you enjoy and finding a starting ground with them. Then, you work to perfect technique (squeezing the right muscles), adding reps over time with correct technique, and progressing to harder variations if need be. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018