1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What are good habits to do!!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Everyone, drop your one best advice to do during our nofap rebooting journey, that has helped you or helped others tremendously! But you can only comment once and only on one advice!! This will b good for anyone trying to find things to do during their nofap journeys to become better people by implementing these habits. So, what should they do?

2. Mindfulness meditation - becoming aware of your thoughts and urges and realising that you don't have to act on them.

3. kayesem

kayesem Fapstronaut

Kind of obvious, but keep good notes on a calendar and track everything. Provides awareness, perspective and incentive.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. This.

Plus exercise and eat clean food (lots of veggies etc.).

But I still think that meditation is the most important habit overall, even more so than NoFap imo.

5. good tips guys! I’m aware of most of these except the keeping track on a calendar
    What do you say in your notes? How do you make it most effective

6. HooEmAi

HooEmAi Fapstronaut

Make your bed upon rising each morning.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. I’ve heard of this one here and there, have you noticed any benefits?

8. HooEmAi

HooEmAi Fapstronaut

It's a conscious act at first, giving you a small sense of completion. You kind of keep going from there.

9. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Have a system and continue to do "system updates." Having a bag full of tips is not a system, especially if you don't do those things consistently. Even doing certain things regularly is not a system, how does one thing you do connect to another?

I'm afraid habits = mindlessly doing something in the minds of many, even good ones just because at some point someone said this is a good habit so you give it a go whether you see how it is beneficial or not. And having a list of benefits is NOT the same as seeing it work in your own experience.

We're all reading this on some computer, a computer doesn't have "good habits" - it has exact and definite functions. Nobody would use a computer if it just has pretty consistent "habits" that are generally considered good, it has to have a working system. The reason good things like exercise and eating right feels good is because there's already a working system and those inputs work with that system, almost completely ignoring that and just going with what our general ideas are doesn't involve any understanding. There's a difference between exercising to generally feel good or be stronger and exercising for a specific sport, or healing a specific injury. The first example is largely based on ignorance, the second is based on specific outcome desired and specific knowledge of how the body works.

Joggyd likes this.
  10. HooEmAi

HooEmAi Fapstronaut

Ongoingsupport, in the vein of concision, I'll summarize:

Practice the beneficial, consciously :D

TheBaeLessWonder likes this.
  11. Ongoingsupport

Actually that's probably what
    keeps people from understanding things systematically. There's probably just a list and the simplistic thinking just puts it in the beneficial category, which doesn't involve any functional understanding. I'm afraid the word conscious gets thrown around too much so as to be next to meaningless. You can be conscious of something as beneficial, but how exactly it is beneficial is a very different understanding. Most categorizing under the big umbrella of beneficial is very simplistic short sighted thinking.

12. Awww man goingsupport, you made me think!! Alright, so what you are saying we have to understand the mechanism behind said habit to get the full benefits depending on what we want to achieve? So, if one meditates, it will be beneficial to them, but if they are more aware of why it’s beneficial and how that plays into the role of the mind and everyday life etc, then they can practice effectively, curtailing to their goals?

13. dragonslayer

dragonslayer Fapstronaut

Journaling your thoughts and emotions, the good moments and the bad experiences throughout the past day, and your plans for this new day about how you will improve and move towards your goals.

14. Ongoingsupport

Understanding the cause and effect, not just generally like "meditation does this and that for my brain" but in the moment - that's what mindfulness is about. That leads to the understanding of how things work, which allows you to build a system that works with natural, existing systems.

In 12 Step they do a moral inventory, in Buddhist, or say karmically focused inventory it's functional. Moral is black and white, functional is this causes that, this leads to that. Morality can be largely preconceived notions where you apply a given filter of judgement, karmic cause and effect is just what actually happens.

So I say take the functional inventory a step further, to live with knowledge of how nature works, specifically our nature personally though more generally with PMO and rebooting. And some of it is just down right practical, like if you work certain hours and how you get to work then you work with those factors in how you can do things to support your recovery. It's not just always a question of when you have time btw, like I decided to be a bike commuter so I get a good amount of low impact exercise as a lifestyle factor rather than having a set time to devote to exercise - it's integrated and it has multiple purposes for both transportation and fitness, to give a common practical example.

Strength And Light likes this.
  15. kayesem

kayesem Fapstronaut

Every time I brush my teeth, lift a set of weights, take vitamins, take medicines / substances, walk for an hour, get 20 mins of sunshine, or at least natural light outside, appointments and times, reminders to pay rent and bills, when public holidays are. Also every successful day of no PMO, every wet dream, every relapse. That's just my calendar.

I also go into detail in a digital journal every morning, for recording dreams and then an overview of my previous day. Being able to see progress and relapse patterns at a glance is a good thing, keeping the journal as well is how to be most effective. If I start a new vitamin, cut out youtubes or start getting more sunshine, I can then compare changes in how I look and feel to what new habits I have started and what old ones I have discarded.

Tracking wet dreams helped me notice a pattern of relapse in M O the next night. So it helps to identify triggers, and to keep momentum going because you can visually see your progress.

TheBaeLessWonder likes this.
  16. Like how exercising makes you stronger and allows you to get more testosterone or whatever but we should pay attention to the strength it gives us and manlier feeling and building on that by following what makes us feel right. Knowing the what and the why. So it is being more concious or aware of what we are doing and how that benefits us. Doesn’t anything that benefits us actually benefit us because it has a system in place on some level to us? Like writing and journaling our feelings down, but are you saying we should practice writing a certain way or getting our feelings out to make it more effective

17. Ongoingsupport

No, I'm saying inventory is a first step, and there's a difference between seeing it as a big list of right and wrong, good and bad and seeing it in terms of how it all works together.

If you're taking apart a machine, you don't have two sides like these are good parts and those are bad parts, that would be ridiculous. They all do their job in the scheme of things, it's a matter of at least getting some idea of what they do.

18. What you mean every time you brush your teeth? You don’t brush them every day lol

You must have a very big calendar with very big boxes for all these notes??

Man all that sounds like a lot of work!! I go home from work and barely have time to meditate and read. If I do all this note taking, I won’t have any down time it seems like, does it take long for you to do all this, takes some thinking, right?

19. What’s the reasoning behind knowing what something does, pertaining to a habit. How does that improve things. I just want to clarify because I may or may not be confused lol!

Also, can’t something like fasting be beneficial without knowing much about it, except maybe where to draw the line when too much is too much fasting. Is this kinda what you’re saying?

20. Ongoingsupport

Strictly speaking it isn't a habit, because a habit is sort of unconscious repetition. Knowing what something does is to have a deeper understanding of it so you can see how it can be used.

If we take fasting as an example, that is fairly simple on the surface - but how long do you do it for? That's actually the wrong question if someone is trying to answer it with "X days" or whatever, it depends on what your body is doing in response to it. Also depending on what's going on you may not want to totally fast but do a cleanse with juices or something, or put off the fast if you're recovering from a broken bone or something where you need to build up instead. It all has to do with timing instead of an aribitrary decision in isolation, everything has some impact directly or indirectly.