1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get up in the morning

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by James0224, Nov 12, 2017.

1. James0224

James0224 Fapstronaut

I always struggle to get up in the morning. I always plan to be up and ready to do some work within an hour of waking up but I usually just end up surfing through social media, youtube etc. And before I know it I am behind schedule by an hour. Does anyone have some tips on how to feel motivated and ready to work in the morning?

Thanks!

Single Palm Change likes this.
  2. Shreba1

Shreba1 Fapstronaut

A few years ago I stopped using FB

The first thing I did when I woke up was look at FB on my phone
    I would scroll through fake news pregnant pictures and just things that ultimately are not important to me nor any of my concern.
    But I scrolled on.
    It got to the point that I would literally become angry right there in my waking minutes and carry that with me through the day.
    Screw that.
    Enough is enough.
    So I stopped using social media all together.
    I felt awkward at first, but guess what- I had a life.
    That same coffee and cigarettes I also used in the mornings- well they got better.
    My time outside waking up was better.
    In many ways I experienced more life because I did things without my phone glued to my hand glued to my face.

Yea mate so my advice is to stop parousing social media and to become the media that is social. You feel me?

3. ThetaLogix

ThetaLogix Fapstronaut

Watching this thread for suggestions and other commentary as I’ve had the same struggle

James0224 and Shreba1 like this.
  4. Jocker

Jocker Fapstronaut

Throw you're phone away
    Easy

5. James0224

James0224 Fapstronaut

I have to admit, my Ipad is always by my side when I get up. Picking it up and checking social media is like second nature

J. Fylz and ThetaLogix like this.
  6. ThetaLogix

ThetaLogix Fapstronaut

This is definitely a part of my problem too; maybe I should move it...

J. Fylz likes this.
  7. J. Fylz

J. Fylz Fapstronaut

Great observation! That is a struggle of mine as well so I’m always cautious to keep my screen time limited to when other people are around. also have traded much of my social media time (where there are just so many images and videos that could easily make me slip) to interactions with people on this site. It has even boosted my real “talk time” as I’ve started picking up the phone to connect with friends and family outside of Facebook or Instagram.

James0224 and ThetaLogix like this.
  8. J. Fylz

J. Fylz Fapstronaut

Haha!

Shreba1 likes this.
  9. James0224

James0224 Fapstronaut

I am similar. I find spending time on here a lot better than on Facebook. I feel like, you said, im actually talking but at the same time after a few minutes I can go offline and do something else

10. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

It's hard to keep up, but the best thing I've ever found was to do exercise as soon as you get out of bed. Immediately get down and do push ups. As many as you can in one set until you can't do another. Then do squats, etc, etc. It helps to eat up that bit of time, so all you really have time for is eating and getting dressed, etc.

I'm giving this a go again in the morning.

11. J. Fylz

J. Fylz Fapstronaut

Great idea! Get fit and beat a lousy habit!

James0224, LEPAGE and ThetaLogix like this.
  12. Inspire360

Inspire360 Fapstronaut

Yea technology is making us super akward lately.

J. Fylz likes this.
  13. _amar_

_amar_ Fapstronaut

i wake up 4 am in the morning everyday. The thing works best for me is to set my phone on alarm and keep it in the opposite corner to my bed within the room. Keep in mind the volume must be loud enough to hear you and make it more irritating as much as you can. The main objective is to make you leave your bed once. As long as you leave switch on all the lights of your room.

Above mentioned trick will work for you only if you have something to be done which is really your priority( like study for students, workout or training for athletes). If you don't have any priority like these in your life. I will suggest you to first find out your life goal and then all tricks will work for you. Keep going. Best of luck

14. TalkingScum

TalkingScum Fapstronaut

I had the same problems when I was fresh out of high school.

What solved this, besides losing my job, was too just get out of bed. Alarm goes off, don't think, get out of bed.

Think about the opening scene of the intro to'American Dad'. Just jump out of bed.

Additional recommendations,
    • charge your phone elsewhere and get a traditional alarm clock.
    • Stage a glass of water on your night stand. Many people claim that chugging water immediately help with waking
    • And my personal favorite that I'm making up as I type, print life-sized card board cutouts of you holding a hand up smiling. Wire a switch it pressure plate behind the hand to trigger positive statements about yourself. Place then around your place. High five them all once out of bed and before anything else.
    An afterthought, out an app blocker and block the apps that are distracting during your morning time window.

Another afterthought, stop social media usage, there's really no use for it beside messenger. (IMO)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    James0224 likes this.
  15. James0224

James0224 Fapstronaut

4 a.m? That's amazing!

_amar_ likes this.
  16. _amar_

_amar_ Fapstronaut

yes james my sleep pattern has been drastically changed since i started nofap. 90% of time i am full of energy at 4 am. 10% still have to struggle ( i am human being too;))

17. I recently started waking up early too.

First thing I do is, I take a bath. Without delay.
    While taking a bath, I try to visualise how my day should be (What all I should study, or work on).
    Then once I get out, I make my mindset like "this is the only thing I can do. There's no other option."

It works most times, although I'm in the beginner stages too, so it doesn't work like its supposed to.

18. I would definitely suggest keeping the phone, tablet, etc as far away from your bed as possible. You are much more likely to edge before or after sleeping if it is within reach.

There is really NO REASON to look at your phone while in bed. If you get a call or the alarm goes off, you should have to get out of bed to get it. And you shouldn't go to bed until you are done using it.

When you DO get up for the phone, decide then that you don't need to go back to bed. Turn on the lights, brush your teeth, walk the dog, eat, shower, text a friend, whatever you need to do. But when you're up, you're up.

If you draw that line for yourself, that's one more small way you help yourself. And all those little "ones" eventually add up.

My two cents.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2017
    TalkingScum and James0224 like this.