1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Runners High

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Aug 22, 2017.

1. I ran for the first time in a long time yesterday. I ran like 2.5-3 miles and was just drenched in sweat. I usually just do weight training but after running I got this high. Hard to explain, but kinda like a drug but it's good for you. Not as good and lasts shorter than drugs but its still cool.

Heard that it might give you more blood circulation down there so I gave it a try. Can't speak on that, but I'm gonna corporate cardio into my workouts. Maybe once or twice a week. I believe it makes you feel good too, so does weight training. But it's different, highly recommend it.

2. Estus

Estus Banned

High impact exercise not good for the knees/joints.

You'll regret it when you're an old man if you live that long.

3. mybirthdaypresent

mybirthdaypresent Fapstronaut

Well pardon me, but running 2.5 - 3 miles isn't a high impact exercise. Please do your research.

As long as you're combine it with proper running shoes, good warming up, adequate sleep or rest, and good diet (calcium of course, from dairy product if I may suggest), you will have a far better knees/joints from average people, especially from sedentary people who just sit all day.

Runner's high is just a short-gain. You will train your heart, alleviate depression, increase your metabolism (effects your fat burning and muscle growth), increase bone density, and anything (just do your research), that can make you have a longer life-span than average people, especially from people who just sit and play video games all day.

So keep it up buddy. It is a good thing.

4. CompulsiveCrab

CompulsiveCrab Fapstronaut

Running with leg weights would be high impact. Running with just shoes is as light as it gets especially if it's done on land and not concrete. If your not taking a multi vitamin you should be. I can drastically feel the difference. I went from small pain in my knee to feeling weird because I didn't have that pain there.

As for the high I did track and xc I don't remember a high that was any different from regular exercise. But I do remember hitting that zone where you just are focused on running and breathing.

5. Fightthedevil

Fightthedevil Fapstronaut

That is one the best feelings one can experience in my opinion,i have been running for 4 years now when i first time experienced runners high i remember i was like so happy idk how and why for like a whole week it just makes you feel so good that you forget everything stressful.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Rockyroad

Rockyroad Fapstronaut

Running is a great way to transform your body and mind. I have been distance running, on and off, for more than 18 years. I competed in countless races and finished one marathon. You just need to keep your body revitalized by getting enough sleep, stretching adequately after a workout, keeping a healthy workout regiment, and maintaining a proper diet with vital nutrition.

The runner's high is quite an enjoyable experience. I usually feel it on my slower and longer distance runs (say 8 miles minimum). I think it depends on the workout that you plan to do.

Keep at it. However, make sure that you pace yourself and bring up your weekly mileage slowly, if that's your goal, to avoid any type of injury. Good luck.

7. 3P1L run

3P1L run Fapstronaut

I've been 'running' from PMO by simply running. I enjoy doing this activity, feeling the surge of dopamine in my brain. But lately, I've been assigned with a ton of tasks to the point where I had stop running for a week! So the only activity that I could think of to satisfy my need on dopamine is MO.
    How to tackle this kind problem T-T

8. li_89_am

li_89_am Fapstronaut

I have had the same issue when I've been busy, but I think I have just been making excuses. Could the time spent MO not be used for a quick jog to clear the head?

9. ColdBrew

ColdBrew Fapstronaut

Cardio workouts are amazing. I know not everyone loves running, so for those looking for that same "runners high" you get from cardio, here's a few alternatives:

1) MMA/Boxing/Muay Thai - Literally any combat sport is insane cardio. Even if you are a runner, i promise you the first day you'll be winded after 1 minute of combinations. Insane workouts that are tons of fun. Plus you learn how to fight.

Biggest drawback - pricey.

2) Circuit Training -
    When you are lifting, make "super sets", ie 1 super set = 1 set squats, 1 set pull ups, 1 set military press. Any combination of exercises can work, just do low weight, high reps, with only a 30-60 second rest period between each super set. I usually go for about 5 sets, and i promise by the half way point you will be feeling it. And no matter what, do not go higher than 50% of your 1 rep max. Remember this is about cardio, not strength. If you go heavy weight while you are tired you are asking for an injury.

Biggest drawback - can be hard to do the superset you want on crowded days. I've had to improvise many times.

3) High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) - Simple, do sets of sprints. Find a place where you can run 100% for about 10 seconds, then rest for 30 seconds. Do about 10 sets. You will be dying by the halfway point. If this seems easy to you than you are not running hard enough. If its still too easy, increase the duration of your sprint and reduce your rest period. If you're in good shape, find a hill or stairs to sprint up.

Biggest drawback - you are usually on the ground trying to recover once you finish and then someone will come along and ask if you need medical attention while you try to explain to them between gasping for air that you are fine.

10. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

Running is better for you on soft ground to be fair like grass. Running on a road, which is essentially a man made surface, isn't good for your joints. Cardio is good for you though and I need to do more of it. I suggest walking only on stuff like roads and jogging/running on grass.

Treadmill is meant to be bad for you. The way the band on the treadmill moves is meant to be bad for the knee and quad/hamstring balance as it creates an artificial pull. Stationary bike, steppers, x-trainers are fine as far as I'm aware..and regular bike...in theory plenty of other stuff is cardio too and good for you

Swimming is a really good one but I've never liked the idea of swimming in a pool strangers are in or have been in. They might have diseases for all I know, bad hygiene or wee in the pool...

just my thoughts..

11. Rockyroad

Rockyroad Fapstronaut

There are generally pros and cons with every type of running surface. Asphalt and cement are rough on the joints as there is little give with each stride. However, the paths are generally simple to follow, found relatively everywhere, and are evenly level from side to side, except for occasional cases of heavy camber on a busy paved road.

Grass is soft and absorbs the constant pounding of feet on the surface. However, grass can be very uneven and extensive training can be injurious for weak ankles. Of course, the surface can get extremely sloppy during and even days after a storm.

Treadmills can be very helpful for those that want to learn how to pace. I trained almost exclusively on a treadmill when I ran the marathon. The material is much softer than asphalt and cement so the joints are not under an excessive amount of pressure from extensive use. However, you must focus on your stride and not get lazy. Treadmill running also does not simulate all the challenges of outdoor jogging. Lastly, treadmill running is monotonous if done in the wrong environment.

The goal is to find a crushed limestone path. Depending where you live, these types of paths are generally near or within forest preserves. It has the correct balance of stability, direction, and comfort.

Always remember to stretch adequately (lightly before and more afterward).

12. daveplaysguitar90

daveplaysguitar90 Fapstronaut

Ruuner's highs are great huh? Train for a half-marathon, it'll be quite the experience! :)