1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by Papsy

Is anyone considering following the 8 Precepts for 90 days as part of a NoFap target?

It is the 3rd Precept that is relevant to NoFap where it is about being celibate (Brahmacharya) in body, speech and mind.

The list of 8 precepts (to those who are not familar) -

1. To refrain from harming or killing sentient beings
2. To refrain from stealing (or taking that which is not offered/given)
3. To be fully celibate (abandon all forms of sexual activity including self-stimulation)
4. To refrain from lying (saying that which is not true)
5. To refrain from all forms of intoxicants (alcoholic beverages and drugs)
6. To refrain from eating at improper times (not to eat after noon or to eat a meal after lunch)
7. To refrain from dancing, music, visiting shows, flowers, make-up, the wearing of ornaments and decorations
8. To refrain from using luxurious chairs or beds

Has anybody thought of doing this for 90 days as part of the NoFap challenge?
Nekkhamma more_vert
Nekkhamma
Thanks for the post! I do sort of a modified 8 precepts day, once a week, where I refrain from entertainment and music and what not, but I will eat supper on those days since I work two jobs and I’m pretty busy and active. But, I am staying totally celibate during this reboot. I’m single to it makes sense. Might be more difficult if one’s in relationship. At a monastery or on retreat, or if we live a very simple life, it can be easier to eat only once a day. But if we’re pretty active, it might make us more miserable! I think it’s best to experiment and see what works. Either way, good luck and thanks for the post!
stoneyman22 and Paranimmita like this.
Papsy more_vert
Papsy
Thanks Nekkhamma, Yes I have taken it in an open ended manner when I dont know when I finish. My situation is a little bit easier where I do only one job so I have my evenings free. Yes this is a trial to see how long I can go with the 8 precepts. If my Buddhist practices improve while I am on it then I may not specifically plan on a date to go back to the basic 5 precepts.
Papsy more_vert
Papsy
Yeah with the NoFap I wonder if anyone would try the 8 Precept challenge for doing that for 90 days.