1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Catholic / Orthodox Fapstronauts

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. thenewbeginning

thenewbeginning Fapstronaut

Hi! I just joined to this thread... I wanted to share with you a reading I stumbled on in the Liturgy of the Hours from a couple of days ago, it was totally motivating for me.... Hope you like it!

Jas 1,2-4 (RSVCE)
    "Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

2. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

3. thenewbeginning

Thanks! :)

4. thenewbeginning

Not really sure if this is the place to ask this, but considering it is a really strong trigger in my life to fall in POM, here it goes... I would like to ask your Catholic/Orthodox point on view on this situation:

(Warning: bad english translation alert)
    This couple of weeks I realized I give up to my urges as a way to calm my self (or probably just be away from reality) when I suffer anxiety... Then I start thinking on all the things I've got the opportunity to experience and I realize that I have never given myself the chance to live my life according to my real intentions, but living according to people expectations and just surviving on everything that happened in my life. It was a boomer at first, but a relief in a certain way after a while considering I'm starting to know my truly self. Now I realize, above all things, that I really crave for giving myself some space to deepen my faith (praying more profoundly, spending more time reading the gospel and giving latin some chance ;) ), spending more time with my family, finally getting my degree and improving some skills god gave me (like music and programming). The second thing I discovered is that I really don't know what else I want to do besides my current obligations because I never had the opportunity to really think or experience what does it feels like to do what you really want to do... Since I was 9 years old I've been always crowded with tasks, responsibilities and obligations and now I feel trapped in this style of life: always working extra hours in my job (sleeping poorly for weeks), giving piano classes to some kids, teaching in both a music ministry and in a convent and helping with the informatic system of a music school... So far I have tried to help or support others on everything I could, but now everything is getting really hard to sustain and worse, I'm starting to feel that I'm leaving behind some parts of myself that I'm not supposed to neglect... Where should my willing to help other people should stop so I can start thinking about me? Or would I being selfish for thinking like that? I believe that if I can find a solution to this problem, most of my current anxiety problems would be gone... What do you think???

Thanks in advance!

funkycedars likes this.
  5. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

Of course it's okay to take care of yourself! We live in a very selfish society. So Christians often think, to resist the society, we must be completely focused on serving others. However, God wants us to be like him: perfect. This means that Christian love involves both serving others' good and our own good. And this means that we must have proper self-love, and take care of perfecting ourselves. Of course, we can only do this through God's aid, so be sure to rely on him in the journey! So no, you should NOT feel bad about taking time to work on yourself. On the contrary, self-improvement is your purpose in life, as long as it does not become selfish.

Podraig likes this.
  6. Podraig

Podraig Fapstronaut

@thenewbeginning I know What it's like to feel as if your whole life has been decided by other people. I've been given a chance to slow down and do some self-discovery and get help from a therapist, and it's helping. @headedup is right that self-care isn't selfish. Taking care of yourself makes you better at taking care of others. Many of the saints (I can't remember who at the moment) have mentioned the importance of taking a bit of time for yourself. You can PM me if you want to talk more about it.

7. Leo33

Leo33 Fapstronaut

8. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Do you remember mother Theresa of Calcutta?
    She knew that she must pray, adore The Most Holy Sacrament and attend Mass every day to have the power and strength to endure all the burden /cross/ in her life. God gives rest, healing , power.... when we pray but pray honestly with our heart. Adore The Most Holy Sacrament and you'll experience the rest and liberation from fears.

Leo33 and Sursum Corda like this.
  9. Leo33

Leo33 Fapstronaut

Well said, most definitely.

headedup likes this.
  10. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

If you need any inspiration in the reboot, I suggest checking out Christopher West's work on Theology of the Body. I just started listening to his speech "Naked Without Shame," and it's been very helpful in forming the way I consider PMO and my goal of purity.

11. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Yes Sursum Corda, PMO is a soul illness.
    But not only this. After reading 3 books by Gabriel Amort /an exorcist/ and remembering some facts from my life which sometimes happened during strong urges or tempations, I can tell all of you that we've got here to do with a direct devilish attack and his strong influence on our body , psyche and soul. The most of my method of fighting PMO is typically used and advised during devilish attacks and even in a process of exorcism.
    You know - prayer while being assaulted by devil is a natural exorcism. Therefore I remember fast changes in my body and sole even after 10 - 15 minutes of honest prayer while having an irresistible sudden urge to do PMO. Even during such a short prayer the feelings of the extraordinary urge were disappearing fast.

12. Yglibrarian2013

Yglibrarian2013 Fapstronaut

Hey guys,

I relapsed again. Please pray for me.

headedup likes this.
  13. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

14. M L

M L Guest

I, too, have fallen very far this week. But the mercy of God is so great, I will throw myself upon it (again).. I will keep you also in my prayers x

15. Yglibrarian2013

I will be praying for you too, brother.

16. peregrinnus

peregrinnus Fapstronaut

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been away from this thread for a while. Been really busy with a choir competition that I'm participating in, ending tomorrow.

ML and Yglibrarian, sorry to hear about your troubles. Will definitely pray for you both, as well as the rest of you here.

One key thing to remember is that God will always forgive us if we are sincere in our want to change for the better. Never give up, or think that you are "too far down the road" to ever be saved or forgiven. A lot of people fall into sin and feel that their sin is so great that they cannot be saved, but that is not the case at all. Stay strong and lean on the grace of God. Lift up your troubles to Him, place them at the foot of the cross, and He will grant you strength. For it is when we are weakest that we can let God be strong for us.

Keep going!

M L likes this.
  17. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

Nice image @Sursum Corda ! I would appreciate any and all prayers for a special intention tonight. Thanks!

Sursum Corda and M L like this.
  18. cheekybrah

cheekybrah Fapstronaut

Catholic here, glad I found this thread.
    Struggling so much with this addiction. Most I ever got to is 16 days... then once in a while I go on these binging sprees where I can keep going multiple times a day.
    It's shameful.

headedup likes this.
  19. Yglibrarian2013

I've been there. We'll keep praying for you.

20. JethroTull

JethroTull Fapstronaut

Another one here! I've spent many a mass praying for forgiveness and help. I have always felt tinge burden lift. Still an addict but the love and grace of God is always there for me; for us.

If someone could find the bible passage, a parable that I truly love is the one where the farmer calls for workers and they all come at different times but get paid the same. I like to think of that as forgiveness for our PMO addictions. God will be there for us no matter how late we are to the giving up PMO party.

Great to see a nice little sub community here :)