1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Summertime v. the dreadful life in a metropolis

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Bale, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

Summer vacations are a very strange thing. I live and work in the fast-paced, crowded business district of a big city, and when I get the chance I spend my holidays in the countryside. Sometimes near the sea, sometimes the mountains. It can take me days after arriving there until I start relaxing.
    I never quite enjoyed giant cities, now I try to find good things about them because that's where I live and I don't have much choice considering the type of job I have. I do feel fortunate to be able to spend time far away from that place. It's refreshing, it helps clear the mind of all the clutter and think about the bigger picture.
    I love my job, the challenges, the potentialities, but sometimes really, I just feel like quitting everything and move to a quiet place where life wouldn't feel so gray and apathetic. We're constantly wired and absorbed by screens, by marketing, by temptations of all sorts, by our never satisfied egos, making so little time to be present and do things we love and share those things with others, instead running around like headless chicken with no meaningful endeavor, except for seeking recognition through comparing ourselves with others on practically every aspect of our lives.
    There is a life outside big cities and the Internet, although I don't know for how much longer. Take the chance to experience it as much and often as you can.

2. MikeSilva

MikeSilva Fapstronaut

Beautiful written !

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Hey :) Nice thoughts. But I think you are mixing some things: Living in a big city has nothing (or little) to do with some of the things you are linking it with --> You can get away from screens, satisfied ego, seeking recognition through comparing even in the city. You can love, have meaningful endeavors, do the things you love with people you love aswell.

Maybe it's the head that needs to change the place, not the body.

4. I can totally relate. I have a good friend that lives in a rural area of California. I love going there to visit. Getting away for a few days from the hustle and bustle of the San Francisco Bay Area is wonderful.

5. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

You're right, that would be a first step and help a lot already to just get out of your usual place. However there has been a new rush to the countryside over a few years now and I meet more and more people who pick this different lifestyle rather than stay in the city, because they just can't do it any more. A complete getaway has a really positive effect on your mental health and overall well-being.