The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by PMS, May 30, 2019.

1. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

For multi-faceted prog rock, I suggest Genesis...

[​IMG]
    A Trick Of The Tail (1976)

Deleted Account and PMS like this.
  2. In my top ten many of them are Steely Dan records. In fact I usually omit them on favorite lists because it's like listing air and water as your favorite things. It's just a given. That and the Beatles and Beach Boys. They are so masterfully crafted records that they get a free pass. They have to be graded separately. LOL.

PMS likes this.
  3. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

This I have also yet to get into. I have had it recommended to me a lot. But I really don't like Phil Collins' solo-work which has held me back.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. That is an amazing Genesis album. @IGY are you on Discogs? We need to share collection links

5. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

It is! No, I'm not.

6. @PMS steller choices. I have similar overlap. May I kindly recommend a humble thread that I have made many contributions to. "I Am Drunk" in the off topic section. It's mostly music. Mostly...

So I was really surprised Nutural Milk Hotel was number one...I dont bump into that a lot as a number one. Why no Wilco in the top 20? And can I say...unless I missed it...I'm seriously stoked I didnt see Radiohead north of 50, but I have yet to do a deep dive.

7. I didn't see any Primus on there. This album opened my eyes in may ways as a youngster.
    Primus-Suck_on_This.jpg

PMS likes this.
  8. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

This is the problem I have with Zeppelin, Smiths and Pink Floyd. That's why I made the list 1 album per group/artist maximum. Especially since most of the people who look at the list already know all those albums. I don mention the as "honorable mentions" instead.
    Thanks mang. I did see that thread but I have yet to browse it. Going to look at it. The Neutral Milk Hotel record to me the richest record ever made. It somehow manages to be really indie, while laying down the greatest poetry since Dylan and constantly transforming from acoustic folkiness to headkicking punk songs, or whatever they are. While it is heavy it remains as beautiful and while it is beautiful it remains as heavy. And there is a bagpipe solo, that works. I mean that's a winner right there. Also Jeff Magnums voice makes the record. Such pure emotion. Too bad hipsters have claimed the record as their own.

Radiohead I have always known to be really good. I've tried many times to get into it but yet unsuccessfully. Yeah they are annoyingly all over the place.
    Never heard of it. Gonna look into it.

9. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I concur. My enthusiasm to share overtook my manners in saying that it is a very creditable list. I would gladly debate album choices (by the same band). The most outstanding one for me being Wish You Were Here in favour of TDSOTM. o_O
    However, I was delighted to see Innervisions, Spectrum, Cosmo's Factory, Stop Making Sense, The Rise And Fall etc. <3

PMS and Deleted Account like this.
  10. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

My man! I couldn't have put it better! It's like on The Royal Scam, there are 20 different musicians! They took the time and trouble for every nuance of each song to be crafted and performed by the very best person they could find. :D Awesome!

11. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

I don't see how recommending albums to someone looking for recommendations is bad manners haha :)

And Wish You Were Here. I know man. Pink Floyd is hard AF. I even love The Wall so much that I almost picked that one over both of the others. I just feel that on paper, Dark Side is the most complete, even if it's the typical choice. The impossible choice. Glad you know Spectrum. Just saw Billy Cobham live in Stockholm. Was as you can imagine, absolutely mind-blowing. His band... I mean, where to even begin. Stop Making Sense, greatest live album/movie ever. But of course the first release that didn't have all the songs from the movie is a travesty, crime against humanity. But the fixed that with the extended edition.
    Now that is very impressive. My only problem with Aja for example was that it felt a little over-produced. I usually like it a little rawer if you know what I'm saying.

12. The crazy thing is Steely Dan defined what over production should sound like. They set the standard, so they get a pass...LOL. I feel you though. Sometimes if I've had a long day listening to hardcore punk I take a Steely Dan shower before bed to get nice and clean. :)

PMS likes this.
  13. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

OK, that's good! :D
    Pink Floyd: I just cannot get on with 60s Floyd. For me, they begin with Meddle. I mean how good are One of These Days and Echoes!? :eek: Dark Side has several epic moments, but I take the opposite view to you. It doesn't feel complete. It feels fragmented with On The Run, Any Colour You Like and the dreary Us and Them. But the biggest thumb down for me is Great Gig In The Sky. Wright is superb, as usual, but all those histrionic vocals - I just have to skip it - sorry mate. In contrast, Wish You Were Here feels like a suite. :) I only ever play this album as one piece of music, because it is the quintessential complete album. The hidden gem is David's funky solo on Have a Cigar. Just oozing class and feel! Genius!

Billy Cobham: What a legend! Spectrum is one of my all-time favourite albums. Quadrant 4 blows me away just like it did 40 years ago! I still end up with my mouth hanging open by the end. Tommy Bolin is monstrous on this track and Jan Hammer is awesome, as ever. Stratus is the ultimate groove for me. It is totally relentless with more brutal licks. I am profoundly jealous that you saw Billy and his current band recently. I have no doubt they were totally mind-blowing! :)

Talking Heads: I came late to the Stop Making Sense party. I somehow missed it at the time. :confused: So, I joined when the extended version was released. What were those guys on!? Mesmerising music and eccentric lyrics - what else do you expect from David Byrne, haha. :D It is so cool how he goes out to do Psycho Killer alone and they join him one by one.

14. Moody Blues- In Search of the Lost Chord
    [​IMG]

Benevento Russo Duo- Best Reason to Buy the Sun

[​IMG]

Gorillaz- Feel Good Inc.

[​IMG]

Mum- Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2019
  15. Sigur Ros- Untitled
    [​IMG]

Lucky Dube- The Ultimate Lucky Dube
    [​IMG]

Mutemath- Mutemath

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2019
  16. I saw David Gilmore play "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" live, it was intense. You make a compelling argument...

17. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Oh wow, and you saw Steely Dan, too! Damn!

18. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

But have you ever been two feet away from him and stood outside his 5-floor beach front villa? Haha! :p

19. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

I see what you're saying. And I don't actually have a problem with their production. It's just always that little something that keeps me from listening to "this band instead of that band". There is always so much to listen to. But I will listen to it now. I will go through all albums posted here in order and see what I find.
    I just love Piper At The Gates of Dawn. Perhaps if you read up on Syd Barrett and his story you will find it more interesting. It's just such a mind-bender. Incredibly unique song-writing.
    Meddle is an incredible record. But I rate Piper higher. Echoes and Fearless are amazing tracks. I just wish they hadn't put the football fans at the end of fearless.
    Okay I think I'm losing reception. ....I ca... hear wh... call me b...

Nah it's all good man. I think On The Run is just pure genius. The album flows. Great Gig In The Sky is one of the greatest songs ever recorded. And so on. But Us And Them? Come on bruddah! It's genius :D
    Yes. Agreed. One of the greatest.
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Just like Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters", Billy showed that the best fusion is when it's really groovy. Goove and fusion just go hand in hand. If you have a chance to see Billy, do it. It's just musicianship you won't find elsewhere. It's fascinating to see live how Billy leads the whole band with his drumplaying. The drums take center-stage, even during the other solos.
    Well you picked it up at the right time then. The cut version was sacrilege.
    So much I haven't heard here. The only one is Gorillaz. I like their best songs but I find their albums to have a lot of filler. I've been thinking of listening to Sigur Ros for ages. Is this one better than Ágætis Byrjun in your opinion? Haven't listened to any of them yet. The only Moody Blues album I've heard is Days of Future Passed, which really sounds like that X-Men reboot they did a couple of years ago. That was a concept album if I remember correctly. Really good also. Reminded me of Small Faces' Odgen Nut Gone Flake. But with less reading of fables full of random nonsense words in between songs. Never heard of Benevento Russo Duo, Mum or Lucky Dube, or Mutemath. Nice recs!
    I'm listening to this right now. I'll be back with my take on it. Enjoying it so far.
    Wow that must have been something. Where did you see him?
    No way, how?

20. HAHAHA, no sir I haven't.