1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I feel like I need to do some volunteer work.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anonymous86, May 17, 2019.

1. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

It's not only good for a resume, but it's good for the spirit. Anyone do it? If so, what do you volunteer doing?

Deleted Account and J-CAT like this.
  2. J-CAT

J-CAT Fapstronaut

Concentrating on solving the problems of our community helps us to put our own problems into perspective, which is that they are never as big as they seem in our mind.

I volunteer with a charity that teaches about the Holocaust.

Anonymous86 likes this.
  3. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

All recovery stuff is volunteer work. I and at least some others in a general fellowship not centered around a particular addiction are not just going through the motions of what has been done before however, we are actively thinking of how to improve the system and don't just use it as support. Or put it this way: It's a voluntary use of the mind towards problem solving, and not just a voluntary use of time, energy and labor.

Anonymous86 likes this.
  4. I've done voluntary work for Community and Vulnerable Persons:
    charity stores (customer clerk); out patient rehab (support); homeless shelters (table cleaning, food service);

Unpaid Work Placements:
    Playhouses and Theatres (Set Building); environmental conservation (labouring);

I would very much like to do more and I will watch this space for ideas..thanks...

Anonymous86 likes this.
  5. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Sometimes it's also not a work but how we show up in a moment. I ended up spending like a couple of hours listening to someone tell their life story a while back, met them for the first time that day. It was just what's needed in the moment.

Anonymous86 likes this.
  6. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

Oh wow! Holy shit, that's awesome. Did you learn new skills everyday and (maybe) make friends? Thanks for sharing that!

7. Some placements were very basic operations; just a little elbow grease was what needed. Some things training was provided such as "safeguarding" for working with the elderly. More over I got experience points and some challenges on a personal level.

Anonymous86 likes this.
  8. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

I'm sure that experience was enjoyable! I use to volunteer at a Pharmacy in a hospital and had some very light training as a Pharmacy Technician. It was fun! I liked going to the different floors and delivering the medications. They even trained me to cap medications that were to be delivered intravenously.

I want more! I hope I can find a new volunteering opportunity somewhere that'll be willing to train me just a bit and maybe more. Maybe free training not in Pharmacy, but something else?

I don't know.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. There are lots of options. Just see what catches your fancy. My wife and I ran a Minecraft club for kids at our local library for a couple years. I try to help out on here and a couple other online recovery support platforms. I used to take some guys from the local state-run personal care home out for ice cream. I'm raising my kids to be honest, decent, loving people. I love my wife with everything I've got.

It doesn't have to be anything big or grand. Just put others ahead of yourself, and you will find some great ways to help out. That you have the heart to do it is a great start!

Anonymous86 and Deleted Account like this.