1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting over

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by crimintheredwoods, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Hello everyone. You can call me Crim. I'm 26 and, strangely enough, identify as asexual. I'm a woman, but I don't like gender roles and stigma. So more accurately, I am me. Just me. You can ask questions about that if you want. Or not.
    I'm here because I developed the the habit of PMO about 3 years ago as a way escape my mental illness and chronic pain. I have to stop now. I don't really like who I am these days. I want to be more productive and active in reaching my goals. I want to start with this one. I've tried before, but never succeeded. So, this time I want to be held accountable. If anyone needs a female AP, I would be willing to partner up.
    I think my biggest obstacle in doing this right now is I have a dissociative disorder, which means I deal with depersonalization (DP). Dealing with that makes it hard for me to enjoy anything besides reading and listening to music. PMO was a way for me to feel present. SO, I am currently in the market for some hobbies. I'm open to suggestions. I'm thinking about mountain biking? I live in the perfect area for it.
    Anyway, I want y'all to know that I am ready to fully commit to this and offer support where I can. We got this!

letter and LonelyStrength like this.
  2. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

Hello, Crim! Welcome to NoFap. I believe you'll have no trouble finding an accountability partner if that's what you're into. Thanks for coming to our forums.

crimintheredwoods and letter like this.
  3. RightLane

RightLane Fapstronaut

Hi Crim! Welcome to NoFap!! I applaud your attitude and commitment to this. I firmly believe that if you keep with NoFap and log daily, you can beat this addiction one day at a time. We are totally behind you in this fight!

I would encourage you to make a journal here and log daily in that. Keep track of each day as it goes.

Find people when you feel like PMO-ing. Nothing helps better than getting up and around people. Try to find people that you can tell about this addiction. If you can tell others, especially those who relate to your addiction, I'd be willing to bet they would be ready to help you. Even if not, it helps to tell others.

Also, I would encourage you to reach out to other Fapstronauts. I've found that the more I reach out and like other people's comments and encourage them, the better I do.

As far as hobbies go, I think it depends on you. What do you enjoy? Mountain biking is a great hobby, so is hiking, photography, reading, and writing. Don't know if you enjoy all those though. Late night walks with headphones and music, stock market, making music, learn an instrument.

I wish you the best! Fight hard!

letter likes this.
  4. Hi! Thank you so much for the encouragement. I appreciate the tips, too! I think I get overwhelmed in thinking how to do all this stuff. And thanks for the suggestions. I actually like all those things. I have a really nice camera and just relocated to a beautiful area. I can't wait to explore it more.

I really appreciate the time you took to reach out to me. It helps a lot. I wish you the best as well.

letter and RightLane like this.
  5. RightLane

RightLane Fapstronaut

My pleasure Crim! I’m super happy you have a hobby you enjoy! Try to do your hobby as much as possible. I find my hardest times to be when I have nothing to do.

I totally get the feelings of being overwhelmed. It takes a lot to beat an addiction and you can always stress on if you’re doing it right or not. That’s why this community is here though! We all have each other’s back!! Believe me, @letter or @Sprinkles or @White Sheep or @Tiger uppercut! miss a day of journaling, we all notice. It’s not some legalistic thing either. We just all really care about how the other is doing. If they are doing well, I am. If not, I hurt too.

And you are completely welcome to this awesome family!!!!

I wouldn’t be much of family if I didn’t ask though: how did your first 24 hours or so back on NoFap streak go?

6. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Warmest welcomes to ya Crim :)

Good habits are for sure to help. Because I've been through similar things, my hope for you is that you find things to do that make you come alive. I found such connections to joy as being sooo helpful to feeling like I was a person in this world again.

One thing that'll help a bunch in rooting out any addiction is keeping a journal. As you put your thoughts on paper, it can help you identify what you are struggling with and help you formulate ways out.

All the best to ya, see you around!

Thanks for the reminder of that my dude. In a few words, you summed up the meaning of community quite succinctly :)

Deleted Account and RightLane like this.
  7. k0nn3ct

k0nn3ct Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Welcome to the community!

In what section where we can post daily journal? Im also new here.

RightLane likes this.
  8. Hey!! Actually it didn’t go too bad. I just came up with some other things to think about when the idea of PMO came into my head. I’m sure there will be days when it’s really tough. But I’m determined. I listened to a ted talk or something about breaking habits and the guy's advice was rather saying you "can't" do something anymore, you make the action part of your personality. For instance, I'm vegan. It's part of who I am and I have never looked back since committing. My religion is part of who I am. These things are pieces of my personality. So, I decided that PMO does not fit into my personality. It isn't something I can't do. It's just something I don't do. This a good idea in theory. Easier said than executed. But that is why I got on here and connected with this community. Sometimes breaking a habit takes an army.

I really appreciate the support I already feel from just my first day on here. It has been such and encouraging push in the right direction. :)

RightLane likes this.
  9. I am so thankful for your words, truly. I can't believe the encouragement I have already felt from everyone.

RightLane likes this.
  10. Hi! It took me a minute to figure it out too. Basically you just start a new thread in the forum pertaining to your age group. So, go to the forums page and scroll down and you'll see a bunch of forums named like, "ages 18-21" and so on. Start a new thread as your journal. Hope that helps.

Welcome to you too!

k0nn3ct and RightLane like this.
  11. Hi @letter, all the best to you! If you want to join 'The Matrix' challenge click here ---> 'The Matrix' <---