1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

--->90 DAYS NO SUGAR CHALLENGE<---

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Future role model, Apr 2, 2018.

How often do you eat sugary foods?

1. every day

62 vote(s)
    53.4%
  2. 2-5 times a week

32 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. once a week

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. few times a month

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. once a month

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. almost never

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. 18/30, starting to see the benefits!

2. Sugar is the biggest trigger for relapsing

Force Majeure likes this.
  3. I would say stress is the biggest trigger for relapsing. Then, anything that leads to stress is a big trigger for relapsing and sugar is one thing for sure. For me, the biggest trigger has been a bad night’s sleep followed by too much coffee.

Joseph123 likes this.
  4. So should I cutoff sugar completely or keep it moderate? how do you do with that?

5. 22/30

I have simply stopped with all food that has added refined sugar or derivatives of it. That means I still eat carbs and I still eat fruits and so on but I don't eat anything that contain added sugar, syrup or any other sweetener. Sometimes I have made practical exceptions to this rule, like I have eaten a salami once that had sugar as an ingredient but the amount of carbs of which was sugar was below <1 g / 100 g.

That said, my rule is quite simple but extremely effective, cutting out everything that is sweet really does a big difference. My hunger is insanely controlled: Before I was used to get hungry after a few hours and so I ate pretty often. In the beginning I was a bit surprised that I didn't get hungry after I had eaten... why am I not hungry even after four hours? It's the sugar! The sugar makes you eat more often and it triggers you to eat more sugar. When you cut out refined sugar you'll realise your blood sugar level is much more stable and you can perform at your maximum for a much longer time than if you ate sugar.

After maybe one week, a period of flatline began and I thought the whole challenge was boring. I missed the cakes we baked at home. I thought the life got more boring when you cut out the joy of eating home baked cakes (which we bake with around half of the sugar amount from the recipe). However, this period of flatline just ended and I start to realise how good it is to live a life without sugar.

After these three results I am starting to see some good results. I eat much more fruit and vegetables, more protein and fat and I feel a lot more healthy. I work out more and I see the results from the workout faster. All in all, it feels like I have replaced instant gratification with delayed gratification and that is always better.

I haven't made up my mind yet what will happen after the 30 days but now I am thinking more and more about extending the challenge.

So coming back to your question, if you decide to cut out refined sugar you can still eat vegetables and fruits if you feel like you want something. Banans is an exception: I am not eating them because I think they are too sweet. What you should do is totally up to you, you have decide for yourself. I hope with this post I can make your decision a little bit easier. It depends a lot on what type of life you are living, how much sugar you eat currently, how much it affects you and so on. It also depends on your level of discipline and how much of a step this is for you, remember to take on challenges that you believe you can accomplish. If you are unsure about the effects, I think the best thing you can do is to take the challenge and stick to it. Remember the period of flatline that may come for you as well, you should not stop before this period ends because it's after the flatline period you start to see the long term benefits.

Oh and you can always modify the rules to fit your needs, just make sure to clearly specify them so you know what your goal is.

Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2019
    Joseph123 likes this.
  6. Very informative reply, thank you so much.

I tried cutting off sugar completely, I had 3 days craving but keeping my fridge sugar free helped a lot. After 3 days it changed to more fruit craving so I ate a lot of grapes and watermelon. I was sugar free for 3 months (also carbs free which was a mistake), I only ate veggies and fruits.

One day I end up in the hospital having numbness on my left arm and leg with a body shaking. I was panicing that it could be stroke or something. While waiting for my turn in the emergency, a lady and her son sat next to me, she took out a pack of loly and gave one to her son and turned around offered me, first I said no thank you, she insisted and I just had it and suddenly felt grea. Shaking stopped straightaway and numbness went away slowly. I told her "God sent you" and told her the whole story and that I could go home now :)

So I think while you did not cut off carbs, meaning you might had some sugar with your rice and breads. Cutting off completely is a bit tricky but I will try it again but this time I will eat carbs.

Now these days I'm eating some biscuits with chocolate and since my body was cleansed, my body is trying to throw out the sugar from my skin, I get very itchy on my sides (stomach area) and becomes red and blood comes out. This happens the next day of having a lot of sugar, its a good sign that my body is clean.

7. 23/30

Wow, what a story... will reply longer when I’m not at work :)

8. 25/30! I am pretty used to skipping sugar by now and I like the feeling.

9. Do you mean you only ate veggies and fruits, e.g. almost no protein nor fat? If you did, I understand why you got numbness in your arms because that kind of diet can't be healthy... I eat a lot of fat and protein instead of sugars now. When I feel I want to eat something, I may boil some eggs whereas before I could eat sugared bread then.

What do you mean with "sugar with rice and breads"? I never have sugar in my rice and if the bread contains sugar I don't eat it. I only eat unsweetened food without any exceptions. :)

10. Ameer.Hamza

Ameer.Hamza Fapstronaut

its my day 1 so can any one tell me can we use artifecial sugar which contains zero calories ?

11. 28/30, two days left. Will see what happens afterwards, I am definitely going to continue in some way or another.

I would say no because artificial sugars still affect your blood sugar level.

Google for 'artificial sugar insulin response' or similar and you will find for example:
    "When study participants drank sucralose, their blood sugar peaked at a higher level than when they drank only water before consuming glucose. Insulin levels also rose about 20 percent higher. So the artificial sweetener was related to an enhanced blood insulin and glucose response."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php

Attached Files:

12. Ameer.Hamza

Ameer.Hamza Fapstronaut

i am keep going without sugar,
    God Be Pleased :)
    a few years back i have blocked sugar for mostly 2 to 3 years for me and now its easy for me to keep going in this challenge :D

Force Majeure likes this.
  13. Nice! How do you like it so far? What would you say is the best thing with stopping with sugar? I like it more and more, I experienced some kind of flatline between day 7 and 21, then it disappeared and now it feels great! :)

14. 31/30, challenge completed! I am going to have retention until I decide something else. Maybe I will modify the rules a bit, who knows. The point is I won't eat sugar before I have a well defined rule about when to do so.

icebreaker polarstern likes this.
  15. Great!!! Congrats!!!

Future role model likes this.
  16. Thank you! :D

Future role model likes this.