1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any vegetarians here?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by chris555, Nov 20, 2018.

1. chris555

chris555 Fapstronaut

Hey everyone I am thinking of becoming a vegetarian. I already eat lots of vegetables already but I do eat meat to, I want to see if I feel a difference when I become one.

Anyone here a vegetarian ? What kind of dishes do you eat? How has being a vegetarian changed your life?

Hank Pym likes this.
  2. Nibius

Nibius Fapstronaut

Hello. Im vegetarian for 5 years now, im 21 now.
    I like it and i dont miss the meat too much. Only sometimes i will have some fish and i miss chicken hah. But otherwise im pure veg.
    I cant tell you what is the difference cuz it's been already 5 years so im used to this state. But i will tell you - you will not feel as heavy after eating
    as you did when u ate some beef. You will not have to regret that you are contributing to death of millions of innocent and tortured animals. You will feel pure about your body.
    I think there are great health benefits to veg. diet as you are not digesting al lthese chemicals and hormones etc.. in meat. Also you are getting more vitamins and minerals into your body. Im thinking now about going Vegan - or at least cut the dairy. Milk is not natural to human body and im curious what if i stopped consumption?
    Bear in mind, that the greatest factors behind cancerous diseases is your diet. And i would recommend that you give up these unnatural and sometimes harmful foods. Now some of you may club me because i called meat unnatural but bilogically humans are rather herbivore - for example. take the lenght of the intestine - carnivores have much shorter intestine so the meat is out of the body asap. Meat is something like "emergency nutrition" if there is no emergency, there is no reason for killing the living beings

3. chris555

chris555 Fapstronaut

Well firstly I would never approve anyone bashing you because you just shared your story and opinion.

Thanks for replying I also find when I eat vegetables my mind stays clear I can think better when I eat healthy. I honestly think diet is more important then nofap but that is just my opinion.

Secondly what kind of meals do you eat? I keep hearing that you need the protein from meat but I already know you can get it from other foods so where do you get your protein from?

4. Nibius

Nibius Fapstronaut

I think the protein is really not an issue. If you dont eat sandwiches every day and drink it up with cola you should be fine. The point is to have diversified diet. You eat nuts (the best source for fats and protein) you eat vegetables, fruit - i eat 3 or 4 servings of fruit every day. Legumbre is very nutritional. When i began to live without meat i thought god.. What am i supposed to eat now? But there are plenty of recipes and things to do for eating, you just have to be curious and spend some time on it:)
    And just to be sure you want to wathc your body responses on vegetarian diet, just in case.. What about B12? Well if you eat other animal products - milk or eggs you should be fine or at least i was.
    Meat eaters will argument that protein from plants is not sufficient. That it is of a less quality. That is not true - it is true however that plants have narrower spectrum of proteins (there is every spectrum of protein in meat, but for example in peas some of the protein spectrums are missing - that is why it is important to have variable diet).
    Also, when i became veg. i experienced hunger after eating vegetables it was not enough for me.. But with the time body will adapt and you will feel fulfiled by the vegetables after some time.
    If you are body builder though it might be easier for you to eat meat. But today it is not problem to supplement the protein with some protein powder made from soy, peas etc..

5. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Fapstronaut

I am an aspiring vegetarian as well! Sometimes I do better than others, but I have gone a couple of weeks at some points without eating meat. I've seen the benefit of cutting down for sure.

6. Hank Pym

Hank Pym Fapstronaut

It's a good idea if you don't do any workout or heavy activities. I was a vegiterian for two year...felt good as more active (less lazier).

But then did some research on internet about vegans, vegeterians, and non-vengeterians. I found that they use lots of chemical feeding on chicken, eggs and most of the terrestrial meat for their mass production rate eg. Growth hormone, anti-biotics, genetically modified feeds and lots of other poison for preservation. Terrestrial meat is already have low amouts of neutritions which are also degraded by Industries/farms.

But three sea-food is amazing! They live in harsh conditions and have built up lots of nutritional amount naturally. So this year I became a fishiterian! I feel same level activeness as I was veg before.

So you can go for sea-diet or become a vegetarian for change.

7. meatsandwich

meatsandwich Fapstronaut

I got to extremely low weight when I went fully to veggie diet with nuts, even when I ate 1kg of veggies and ate other foods I lost around 20kg of weight, till I looked sick even when my skin looked quite good my weight was unhealthy, but it could be because of body processing foods quite fast.

8. Secret Habit

Secret Habit Fapstronaut

I will just add something I experienced:

MUCH greater clarity and energy from eating clean, raw, and mostly vegan and vegetarian at home - My Wife is a great cook so its easy for me LOL but man, I feel so much better these days...

This will certainly help anyone struggling with PMO - The feeling of clarity will greatly benefit you!

Hank Pym likes this.
  9. Inner Conqueror

Inner Conqueror Fapstronaut

I've been Vegan for almost a year now so I'll share my thoughts.

Reasons:
    1. Eating animals causes unnecessary suffering
    • "They’re often given so little space that they can’t even turn around or lie down comfortably. Egg-laying hens are kept in small cages, chickens and pigs are kept in jam-packed sheds, and cows are kept on crowded, filthy feedlots.
    • Antibiotics are used to make animals grow faster and to keep them alive in the unsanitary conditions. Research shows that factory farms’ widespread use of antibiotics can lead to antibiotic-resistant bacteria that threaten human health.
    • Most factory-farmed animals have been genetically manipulated to grow larger or to produce more milk or eggs than they naturally would. Some chickens grow so unnaturally large that their legs cannot support their outsized bodies, and they suffer from starvation or dehydration when they can’t walk to reach food and water."
    -reference: peta

2. There are people who claim meat isn't good for you.

I've seen arguments on both sides of this but I'll take a different stance saying: you don't need meat to eat healthily.

-reference: downtoearth /articles/health-tips/10861/meet-all-your-nutritional-needs-plant-based-diet

3. It's more efficient to produce plants to feed the planet than it is to produce livestock... by a lot

-reference: faunalytics /farming-animals-vs-farming-plants-comparison

______

If you're concerned about protein, don't be it's in almost everything you eat. If you want to have a muscular physique plenty of people have done it on the vegan diet. check out Simnett Nutrition and Brian Turner on youtube.

-reference: youtube /results?search_query=vegan+bodybuilding

______

There are plenty of reasons to cut dairy:

-reference: dreenaburton /reasons-to-stop-eating-dairy/

There are plenty of vegan cookbooks you can find online (whether paid for or free) and there are likely vegan cookbooks at your local library for free.
    Since you're transitioning I'd recommend:

Vegan Cooking for Carnivores - by Roberto Martin

He is a professional chef who began cooking vegan when he got hired by Ellen Degeneres, his goal for this book is for transitioning and to make recipes that feel like you aren't being deprived of your favorite foods.

If you suck at cooking or are a beginner like me, here are some tips:

Progresso soups: There are some Progresso soups you can get for like $1.50 that are vegan, just read the ingredients. I recommend the Lentil soup & (one of the tomato soups - check the back to make sure it's good.)

Amy's vegetarian chili: Get yourself 2 cans of this, a bag or tortilla chips, a pico salsa, some guacamole, and I like a lime. For me, this costs around $15 and should feed you for 2-4 meals depending on how you portion.

Lara bars: They cost about $1 per bar but they're a vegan-friendly energy bar.

Fruit: If you like fruit, eat a bunch of fruit.

Smoothies: Take it a step further and get yourself a blender, and find a way to make some ice. Use some ice, almond milk (I recommend vanilla), and whatever fruits you like. Add kale if you want to make it a little more bittersweet.

Vegan stir fry: chop up some veggies or if you're like me, buy a pre-made stir fry bag. Put it on the pan, cook some rice (I like to add pineapple), can even add some cashews at the end. Get yourself a good-tasting asian sauce. (I like general tsou's or a teriyaki ginger-garlic sauce) and that bad boy will get you several meals if you portion, and still a few meals if you don't ;)

Vegan restaurants: Some places are better for this than others, I have one legitimate one where I live but a lot of restaurants will offer you vegan options (at least where I live)

Hope this was helpful!
    -Con

10. Inner Conqueror

Inner Conqueror Fapstronaut

I'm new so I couldn't post the actual links, you should be able to find everything from those though. Let me know if you have any questions for me.

11. Hey man, i did the 7 day vegan challenge after watching some of Infinite Waters videos on youtube. Was hard at first (i was totally addicted to animal products). Now i dont want anything else anymore :).

I have to admit, best choice i ever made (alongside with Nofap). True blessing for my health.

When i made the transition, i tried to stay as close to my taste as possible. Didnt have to be healthy, just baked potatoes if i wanted that. But my taste was wanting for more variety. Now i just i eat a lot of fruits. And at dinner i cook meals, rice or potatoes, vegs, cooked apples are very nice too. Nice vegan burgers, chickpeas etc. There is so much.. i just experimented a lot, tried to eat something different each day, trying something new each time. I really enjoy cooking (& eating) a lot more nowadays :)

12. de severn

de severn Moderator Assistant

I’m a vegetarian! I’ve been a vegetarian for almost a year. The first few months I didn’t eat the body of any animals but I still ate cheese and eggs. Now I eat fish from time to time but I haven’t eaten any other type of meat unless it was out of respect on the holidays—once or twice a year.

I feel way better now unless I’m eating cheap, processed foods.