1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Expierence with eckart tolles ‘Power of now’?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by live life trying, Jul 21, 2018.

1. live life trying

live life trying Fapstronaut

Hi,

I got a tip from someone close to me to read Eckhart Tolle’s ‘Power of now’.. It could help me with dealing with previous past expierences and future expectations and pressure of life.. Anyone of this community read it?
    What’s you expierence? Opinion? Thoughts?

Woodcutter74 likes this.
  2. I haven't read it despite planning to do it for the last few months, it's still not returned to library. But I lately started implementing the concept of being present in the moment in my life, and I can tell you it helped. I can recommend you Dr. Joe Dispenza, his work is incredible and he covers topic of being present.

Bretto and live life trying like this.
  3. Bretto

Bretto Fapstronaut

Hello mate,

I’ve read it 3 times now. It changed my life after the first time, I was floating on air for the following weeks but eventually came back to earth and although I didn’t feel as “high on life” changes had been made that were for the better. The two main points in the book are 1. Living in the now will set you free and 2. The the ego is the cause of all your pain. He has another book called A New Earth which I highly recommend as well.
    I wasn’t on Nofap at the time I read it but it would MASSIVELY compliment a reboot. Good luck mate.

4. live life trying

Thanks for sharing your expierence : Buying it today! Greetings

Buddhabro and Future role model like this.
  5. *Experience
    *Eckhart Tolle's
    *Power of Now

6. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Its New Age mumbo jumbo.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Dude is it really necessary? For many people on this forum English isn't first language. I can see by your status that you like grammar, but some people may get offended by you correcting their spelling. I'm not one of them but I'm just saying...

Btw... Sorry... By the way I just started reading "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, it seems like a very wise book. :)

mgz069 and Deleted Account like this.
  8. Totally understand your point of view brother, and I agree. Most of them can speak far better English than I can Russian, for example (but I am learning). I do not do it *often*, and it is intended merely to be helpful. There is a very fine line between being helpful and being an asshat. You will enjoy Meditations in bounds :) .

Future role model likes this.
  9. live life trying

Hi All,

Just bought the book in my native language. Only read the intro and a first chapter, and a sort of calm came over me.
    I was smoking a cigarette and it made me put out, or didn't want that cigarette. Very weird. Afterwards i was whassapping with a friend who wanted to meet, I called him instantly over a landline, his nummer was very clear to me without looking at my smartphone. For the very first time I had a relaxed feeling that evening (it also fades) where we could just talk and reflect with a bottle of wine about my troubles and his troubles, every day life stresses in a very open and calm way.
    Very very weird. So now I'm using this to keep focused, staying of da crack yo! And using that calm in finding work or everyday actions.

It's funny by the way that you, Ra's Al Ghul, mention a comment like 'that new age crap'; I found discussion on online amongst members of a fitness/Power gym- fora (Who like to work out (lot's of them work in security/Construction/millitary scenes: aka physical environments) were their discussing the book and recommending it to each other.

In my pov: it is highly recommendable 2 others who might be in the same situation.
    We are not what we think, we can overcome this voice. That's the essence.

Anyway,doesn't really matter: you do you do, I do me. Byebye, I'm going back to the real world and the present.

Greetings.

Hitto and Future role model like this.
  10. live life trying

I don't really mind. I'm swarry Marcus Aurelius, Its noth on purposed ;)

Future role model likes this.
  11. AlmostRosey

AlmostRosey Fapstronaut

I read 'A New Earth' first and it really changed my way of thinking for the better. I've read 'The Power Of Now' since then and really appreciate it. I would thoroughly recommend Echkart Tolle to anyone, especially those rebooting.

12. T-72 M4

T-72 M4 Fapstronaut

Hi. I've found out this book very dangerous for my reboot... but it was 4 years ago.

What I'm referring to: There is a fragment about addictions. Eckhard said something like " Give up to your addiction and you'll overwhelm it. As long as you're fighting you're on disadvantageous position." After that I've started not to fight with my temptations. That was disaster because my performance in rebooting became so bad.

I was under influence of Eckhart visions. I've found them very useful in changing perspective during every day of my life. After some time I woke up... It's not so enjoyable any more.
    All those "dream-sellers" are just delusion. Of course it might help you in some cases but overally they're out of reality. They are giving us vision of true, calm life.
    It's not possible for casual guy who's working in shop/factory and need to take care about himself, his family and so on.
    I've tried to use his "advices" and my workmate told me I'm drugged or something.

13. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

I've read it. I enjoy Eckhart Tolle's musings (plenty of good stuff on Youtube), and they have helped me very much in my life, in regards to diminish suffering in my life, letting go of things which no longer serve me / my well being, understanding that there is only the present moment to work with, etc.

14. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

I disagree. These "dream-sellers", as you call them, are very much in tune with how things are. Things are as they are, and are not supposed to be any different. There is an old Zen quote which goes like this:

Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.

Meaning, life is as life is before you become enlightened and life will remain as life is, after you've become enlightened. The difference is whether or not you can accept that, and in that acceptance let go of you attachment to how you THINK or EXPECT things to be, and appreciate what actually is right now without clinging to what used to be (the past), and not clinging to a future that's technically never going to arrive as there is only this present moment for you to decide what to do with. So suffer in it if you want, or adapt, stay fluid and enjoy the ride.

But hey. That's just my opinion. ;)

The Great Safecracker likes this.
  15. T-72 M4

T-72 M4 Fapstronaut

There is other thing, which is important to me. How can I found mental energy for all those "enlightments", "acceptations" and "calm-things" if I have lot of chores to do.
    I know: I must focus on that. I must work inside my mind etc. It's obvious (and so hard to obtain). Literally "I must accept state of life".

But there is one thing, I've listened before from someone, and I'm repeating it as much as I can:
    All those wise men live in most cases at far East- in Asia. In place when almost whole year we have sunny weather, food grows on every tree and people have habit to help such "wise men" without any payment. In India they're feeding each other on the streets.

Eckhart's "enlightment" appear when he was in depression. He's doing nothing. Literally. He laid on park benches and looking into sky. And after that he became enlighted. Now it's his way of life because a smart-ass found this as a way to earn money.
    It's easy for him to say, if there is nothing serious to deal with in his life. He's using attitude similar for every "spiritual teacher". He's starting from higher step because people admiring him for what he's doing (or teaching). He's encircled with people who treat him as leader.

There is no place in his life for struggle with workmates, unkind people on the street and so on. He's some kind of guru living "out of this world". I wonder his reaction for continuous "pranks" in work such us hiding tool-chest, glueing chair or abuses from other people. He's not dealing with "normal life things".
    Similar the catholic priests: They're astonished when seeing "casual" life situations such us bullying, abusements and so on.

All those things are just "dreams". Even monks aren't "perfectly calm" or however you'll call it. Tibethan monks or Indian monks or Chinese monks. They're same people as we are. There are power struggles between them, greed and other "sinful-things".

As I've said: It's hard to obtain enlightment and calm if I've cut my hand with paper in work, my mother quarelling with father and I'm overally fell like jackhammer drilling my head. I know that meditation helps a lot in such cases. But what after? Would you like me to "contemplate" all those enlightment things during my whole free time?

I'm telling everything as a person who was amazed by Eckhart's teachings in the past. I've read "Power of Present" and "New Earth" (and a lot of youtube seminaries). I've found it not usable in normal life, sorry if you're dissapointed. A lot of people have the same conclusion after some time. Life goes on and some kind of things not change. Some of his supporters losing interesting, he's getting new-ones and everything is circling.

We shouldn't quarrel about this. Wite your answer if you want, I'll read it and that's all.