1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Atheists, God and the afterlife.

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. I think the world would suck if it were just full of Atheists, I like the idea of more diversity and beliefs instead of something like one giant hivemind. There's more stories to tell and I love how each person is unique and not just one thing, you'll never find the same person twice and I think that's important in life at least to me.

Deleted Account and MLMVSS like this.
  2. True nobody wants everyone the same it would be boring

3. Well I not religious or anything I just believe in God

4. I think being religious not bad but I am just not

5. Not just boring, new inventions, theories or ideas wouldn't be created or brainstormed either because of lack of diversity in my opinion. Each belief or experience brings something to the table so to speak, and that's helped things from science, astronomy and even medical breakthroughs as well.

6. I have beliefs that keep me with comfort and hope a reason to wake up and live life to the fullest not saying that you don't or anything

Deleted Account and MLMVSS like this.
  7. Ready to be healthy

Ready to be healthy Distinguished Fapstronaut

Well.... there would be less hate, violence and senseless murder that's for damn sure. So many wars have been fought over religion, so many innocent lives taken, many terrorists actions are about religion.... most bigotry is fuelled by religion so if you are asking if the world is better without all that then yes... yes it is.

Deleted Account and RPos like this.
  8. RPos

RPos Fapstronaut

I agreee, however Religion is not fundamentally a bad thing. It's simply a belief system with any number of guiding principles to lead a good life. It's when religion is used to control, misguide or manipulate people that it becomes dangerous.

9. I think that's the first time I've seen you crack a joke Buzz :p

vxlccm and Buzz Lightyear like this.
  10. Ready to be healthy

Ready to be healthy Distinguished Fapstronaut

In fairness it always has been used that way.

RPos likes this.
  11. This thread as totally derailed has it not. Its fine, got a few reasonably good answers to my question. But you guys go on, I never been a person to go all thread Nazi on people and delete posts or report people for not staying on topic, only wanted to have a clean discussion reason I wanted to set some rules in the beginning is cause if two sides made their minds up there is no point in arguing who is right, cause it would have no purpose and the question at hand would get lost in the gun smoke, which is kind of what still happened to most of the answers but it is ok, still a lot of wise words and good hearted people in this thread no matter of their beliefs.

We are all human, and we make mistakes, what makes us great is acknowledging our mistakes and working to become better people.

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. I didn't mean to derail it in anyway and I've been trying to stay on topic, sorry it turned out that way.

RainbowShell likes this.
  13. RPos

RPos Fapstronaut

Hi RainbowShell. I was a complete atheist until I experienced the effects of Ayahuasca and DMT.

14. Hm... interesting thoughts, although you didn't really answer my question about what you personally believe about creation. I mean, you said nothing comes out of nowhere, so then... where did all of the creation around us come from, if not from a creator, or "God," if you Will?

It sounds to me like you're more agnostic than atheistic. It also sounds (and again, no offense... I'm not calling you dumb or anything. I don't think you're dumb at all) like you haven't really given this stuff much thought. I'm not one for pushing beliefs on anyone, but I would encourage you to think about it more and look into it more. I know you're an intelligent woman, and I think you would find a lot more logic and understanding of Christianity than you probably think you would. I think everyone should do their research on stuff like this and make an informed decision. Key word being informed.

The thing is, and I think this is kind of the point the OP was trying to make, IF, for arguments sake, Christianity is 100% true... there is a heaven and a hell, and the only way to get to heaven is through salvation and the redemption of the blood of Jesus... And keep in mind, hell isn't a dance party, it's serious business and not somewhere you would want to find yourself... IF all of that were true, it would be well worth your time and effort to look into it for yourself and become more informed before dismissing it as unimportant. Because IF all of that were true, it is indeed very important stuff. I believe we all are going to have eternal life... it's just a matter of where we get to spend that life. And I think that's worth giving some more thought toward.

For me, believing in God isn't an emotional thing, and it's not even always a "spiritual" thing. I'm not a very emotionally driven person. It's a logical thing for me. Even with the very existence of the Bible, in the way it was written, it's a pretty big stretch to believe all of the prophecies told hundreds of years before events occurred, scientific facts written about in the Bible that we didn't even learn until years and years later, so many stories that are cohesive and support each other, despite having been written hundreds of years apart by people who never even knew each other... that, alone, seems like too big of a coincidence for me to believe it's just some story someone decided to write. It's vastly different than, say, the Qur'an, which was written by one man, not dozens of men within a span of hundreds of years, later discovered in pieces and then compiled to make one book.

But anyway, I don't want to preach at you too much or anything. I just care about you, and if I truly believe what the Bible says about salvation and eternity, which I do, I would be a pretty crappy person to not encourage you to look into it more for yourself.

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. Sorry if I've derailed anything. I guess I just got excited by someone actually having a respectful conversation about religion and atheism without being shut down by mods immediately. Seems a lot of people just can't handle hearing anything about God if they don't believe in him, which is strange to me. I mean there's a whole thread about atheism on here, and I haven't complained for the mods to take it down. People should be allowed to talk if they want to talk. I'm free to not read it if it offends me.

RainbowShell and Deleted Account like this.
  16. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

This is today's new orthodoxy, where heresy [to think for yourself] has become orthodoxy [the Protestant principle working itself out]. The previous orthodoxy was rationalism, where you believe what is most rational. The orthodoxy before that was religious orthodoxy. There is always an orthodoxy.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  17. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Actually... @CassTeaElle I think you make a good point.
    I was just reading a article earlier about a Bible museum that is supposed to be a complete Bible copulation museum from documents entered in 2010 for ordering.
    Anyways it just opened or something... I totally skimmed the article because it was interesting but I was waiting for something know, but it said that the gist of the museum from the authors standpoint was (I found totally interesting btw) that every Bible in every religion, is actually the same Bible.
    And they all have different pieces.
    So essentially, all gods are the same god and all religions argue over who has the best text or essentially the best pieces of the same book.
    If the book was all together... Because it's not, and it' not going to be because of various reasons of voting out certain sections and whatnot... It might make sense.
    But it never will.

And I'm not a Christian.
    Still doesn't mean that I can't be intrigued by history.

18. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Yes, proceeding in the mode of antithetical debate is on the one hand way too serious in that one side must win; and then on the other hand, it's way to flippant in that it's just a language game with one side as good as another. The old way of proceeding, before dogmatic rationalism got the upper hand, was a lot more liberal in that all thoughts were in sense recognized merely as art with no pretension to science at all. Any truth they had was of a rhetorical nature, where it was reflected in images, sounds and movements, and where language was a very earthly thing. It was the meaning that it held that was heavenly... it was not the source of its own light as the more enlightened thinkers thought.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  19. Hm... I'm not sure how this entirely relates to what I said exactly. I actually strongly disagree with what you just said. Not trying to start an argument or anything, I just don't want anyone to think that's what I was trying to say, since you tagged me.