1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

New Counter

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MelancholyWeightlifter, Aug 17, 2014.

1. MelancholyWeightlifter

MelancholyWeightlifter Distinguished Fapstronaut

After alot of deep introspection and looks in the mirror, I've decided I need to overhaul my whole life. I have to change my mindset. To this end I'm creating a new counter called "Stay Golden" (Source : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCAX4cgszCU). I will reset the counter whenever I:

Drink
    Swear
    Fantasize
    Spend more then 1 hour cumulatively on social media/YouTube/Reddit etc.
    Fail to Read the Bible Every day
    Fail to Lift or, if an off day, stretch or foam roll
    ...and more.

2. IGY

IGY Guest

There is nothing wrong with having an alcoholic drink unless you are an alcoholic and addicted to it.

3. MelancholyWeightlifter

No, there is not. I just don't want to do it, it's contrary to a lot of my goals. It hurts athletic performance, excess calories etc. I'm just way too unbalanced, I always take it to far.

4. HandsFreeOrganism

HandsFreeOrganism Fapstronaut

Interesting!
    Try not to be too hard on yourself though! I see two pitfalls to avoid. One is constantly resetting because you failed just one of your many goals. That could put you in a negative mindset ("I'm failing all the time") very quick.

The second one might be that be trying to do all these goals at once, you don't do a single one properly. For example, you might have met all your goals for a day, but spent just a little too much online. You should reset in that case, but perhaps you won't, leading to a slippery slope of being less diligent in the future...

It all depends on your personality though. Judging by your current streaks my concern might be unneccessary. Good luck!

By the way, for some of your goals, a tool such as Beeminder might be a good fit. For example, you could set a goal to read 10 pages a day. Due to the nature of the system you get a safety buffer, where it might be ok to not read for one day, but on average you will always stay above your goal of "10 daily pages".

5. MelancholyWeightlifter

Exactly, that's what I'm trying to do.

6. Gasparzinho

Gasparzinho Fapstronaut

There's nothing wrong with not drinking, either.

7. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Wow those are some pretty heavy goals. "Staying Golden" as you call it will no doubt turn you into a very strong and respectable individual.

Personally if I'm drinking, it probably means I'm being social (since I really only drink socially). And for me being around people puts me in a much better headspace to stick to my goals. However everyone is different, I know alot of people who swear on not drinking. I definitely agree with the reasons not to drink- it's expensive, it messes with you (if only short term), it'll make you fat if you're not careful.

It takes courage to branch out from social norms to improve yourself. Well done and all the best.
    NoBrainer

8. MelancholyWeightlifter

It'll be tough, but I think it'll be worth it. Thanks NoBrainer

9. Forty Six & 2

Forty Six & 2 Fapstronaut

I don't drink on my own. And frankly, 9/10 times I can't stand being drunk. But I often feel social pressure to drink. So usually I end up being the driver and stay sober this way. How do you handle social pressure?

10. MelancholyWeightlifter

Just say no. Explain WHY you aren't drinking and if they respect you they'll understand.

11. Forty Six & 2

Forty Six & 2 Fapstronaut

So apparently your environment knows about you and NoFap. But I don't want anybody to know about this. Not my parents or friends. They wouldn't understand. But saying no is probably a good start, just need to find another excuse. That's at least a bit more frank than the usual "my exams are sooo tough, I'll just drive".

12. MelancholyWeightlifter

Just say you want to watch your diet/health.