1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Depression, Unhappiness with State of Things. (I Need some support..)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Eric'sBlue, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Eric'sBlue

Eric'sBlue Fapstronaut

This is my last gasp of air - for help. I'm completely exhausted, I don't know what else to do, but write here. I felt something telling me, intuition, it was the (right) thing to do.

I find my self very depressed more often, than not, in the day. It's practically every day - all of the time. I live in America (where we practically have an epidemic of depression and mental illness/health problems...what's that saying?) and yet, when I've suffered from this problem - due to the surrounding environment - I believe; I have had it always thrown back at my face. 'It's your thinking. It's your problem. It's your fault. The problem lies with you. You need to just smile and be happy to be happy. You have a chemical imbalance.'

All the usual, self help, psychopharma-cartel agenda stuff told to me, pushed on me. Which ......for years I stupidly fell for. No wonder it didn't help me.

Now, I know the reason/s largely I am depressed. I still know it will get thrown at me, again - but I am prepared and guarded against it this time.
    I think that it would take "happy pills" to be happy in this country anymore. The state that everything's in. It is so depressing. The biggest thing that gets (to) me is the daily interaction/ or lack thereof.
    I go out to a walking path. Nobody barely says hi or even looks at you. People just all seem to themselves and insecure/unhappy or defensive....is what I imagine. There's this great feeling of wanting to reach out, but not being able to. Being blocked. I think everybody is feeling this.... and there are many reasons as to why.

I come home. No gf. No long term payoffs. It's dishes, shower, wake up at 4:30 am for work...go to bed. Deal with assholes in traffic. Deal with self entitled-important people while I'm outside. Because of my interest/awareness in the world I'd say I'm more educated about the situation than most people around me are. I read alternative news and try to stay informed/intelligent. It is the society, however, that I see all around me....that negatively impacts me the most. I just wish things were better/happier. I wish there was a more cohesive whole, rather than.....a bunch of painful parts and disjointed fragments and tensions among individuals. This to me, is the biggest thing. ..The society you live in will either hold and lift you up, or suck you dry and suck the life out of you with its misery and dis-harmony. Which is what's manifested here in the US to a profound degree...that I don't think anyone could have imagined, or predicted.
    Most people/most interactions leave me with a sense of 'taking away' rather than 'restoring' me...
    that is, I feel isolated and alone. Most of the small interactions daily I have are what I would describe as 'negative' ones, and I think most Americans feel this way.
    The women are shit, most girls seem to just look down on us guys. Feminism has infected their brains and minds and turned them against men, so as they have to compete or think and feel that they have to - ruining any chances at a gender relationship. Most women, if I'm honest - just annoy or irritate me.

I'd say I'm pretty profoundly depressed at the state of the world, and .....most imminently, the state of my country. I feel it's hopeless. There is so much decaying, everything is falling apart and people are just supporting it - by not doing anything. Laughing in glibness... it's disgusting and disheartening. I can't barely talk about it.
    I feel so alone here and often I dream of Europe or in living some place else, where the society isn't so fractured/destroyed and..there isn't so much misery and depression and alienation/cynicism among the people. *Let me say, I understand this may not in fact be true, but it's what I think of. It's my dream I guess. So yeah..I just had to explain that. I look forward to something better. Hope.

I've just got my package online for TEFL, for teaching abroad. This, I hope, will give me a great opportunity to jumpstart my dreams. Even though it is a little late - I'm 28.....it's not too late.

Thanks guys for listening. It really means a lot. Even though it seems small - this website...it is actually huge. I wish I could explain it adequately.
    Thanks for giving me a place to share and communicate my innermost thoughts/feelings.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  2. Eric'sBlue

Eric'sBlue Fapstronaut

I'm thinking of joining a church, something.....I need something some positive influence and collective whole in my life. I need something.

* The biggest danger in depression lies in the cycle of dis-productivity that occurs.....you're so tired and miserable that you just lie there. Days pass by. The motivation you'd get from your positive environment supplied you normally with the drive to go out and succeed is missing. So in it's place there's just negative misery...you have a parasitic/vampiric society - which in my opinion - is what most of USA has become now. It's sad. ... but tremendously devastating.

So I'm looking for solutions to overcome this/ both in the short term, and long.

I ultimately I think want to get out of here. That is my goal and my dream.

3. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

You are right the depression is not you it comes from our culture. :) :) :)
    So it can be purified. :) :) :)

Eric'sBlue likes this.
  4. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

The first step is making yourself absolutely believe that you have control over your life.

Eric'sBlue likes this.
  5. Kiddy

Kiddy Fapstronaut

I feel you, @Eric'sBlue. A couple years ago, I joined a men's support group, and my main complaint was about this lack of connection that I experience everyday. I told the group that it just seemed like no one really gave a crap about me and that ultimately I was alone. Somehow going to the group helped me feel some sincere love and support, but in the end I stopped going because it didn't feel right for me. Looking back, I think that one big problem for me was that I had a really stressful job and my wife and I just had our first baby.

I don't really know your situation, but one thing I think is generally good advice for depressed men is that you need to avoid spending too much time at home all by yourself. It might seem like the most convenient, comfortable thing to do, to stay home by yourself. It is for me. But it can take a huge toll on your emotional wellbeing. And this is a problem that men face way more than women, as women are more prone to talking to their loved ones about their problems.

I can tell that you are an intelligent, deep thinker. Me too. It can be a burden because we tend to overthink everything. I struggle with this. That's why P is so convenient for me. It provides a huge distraction from my unpleasant thoughts. It's a sort of paradox.

6. Icyweb

Icyweb Fapstronaut

That's a great idea. If we want a more friendly society, we need to start being more friendly and getting involved in the community.
    If you don't mind my blatantly promoting my own religion for a minute, I would suggest a Catholic church. There should be at least 2 or 3 nearby, and there are a variety of different masses you can go to, within the same church even. You will find some that are more traditional with a lot of older songs and hymns, and others that are more upbeat and energetic. If you are looking for a really upbeat and engaging mass, find out when the life teen one will be, it's normally Saturday or Sunday night. It's easy to follow along if you don't know what you're doing too. The only things you really need to be prepared for is the sign of peace after the Our Father. The priest says, 'let us share with one another a sign of Christ's peace.' At that point people will shake hands with those around them and say something like, 'peace,' 'peace be with you,' or some other variant.
    The only other thing is Communion. We believe that Jesus is really present, body, blood, soul and divinity, in the Eucharist. Only practicing Catholics who are free of mortal sin may receive communion. Feel free to simply stay in the pew, but be sure to let people by. If the pews are very narrow, just get into the aisle to let people past.
    And if you get the right church, they'll have donuts and coffee afterwards where you can meet people. Most of them are like this, but every now and then you'll find a church that doesn't do that. :(

Eric'sBlue likes this.
  7. Icyweb

Icyweb Fapstronaut

If you find yourself walking with everyone else to receive Communion, don't panic. Just cross your arms so they form an X over your chest with your closed fists touching your shoulders. All the priest/Eucharistic minister will do is bless you, so there's no need to say anything.

8. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

I like your comments on ,,gay thread,,.
    I had depression and had been mostly sad before I decided to honestly believe. This belief has given me enough power to stay clean, to get rid of obesity, to get rid of sadness, to get motivated, to so many things that it's difficult to name them all. Even my wife I found through faith / at a pilgrimage/. Join a true church. Pray for now..........